How to Unzip an ACE File in Windows XP

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, unzipping an ACE file in Windows XP can be done easily by using a third-party software such as WinRAR or WinZip. These programs allow you to right-click on the ACE file and select "Extract Here" or "Extract to [file name]". You can also use the command line tool, "ace32.exe", to unzip the file by typing in the command "ace32 -x [file name]". Additionally, if you have WinRAR or WinZip installed, you can simply double-click on the ACE file to open it and extract its contents. Once the file is unzipped, you can access its contents like any other regular file on your computer.
bomba923
I'm using Windows XP, and it comes with its own unzipping program.
I'm trying to unzip an ACE file...but when I click "Open With", the option to "unzip it"...treat it as a ZIP file...is not there! No option even there!

Instead...I just a get a useless list of all my desktop programs. Where is the Windows XP "ZIP" program...where is it located, so I can open this file ? I tried to associate ACE with ZIP files...and no! No option shown on the screen for doing so! However, I can make it an .exe file...which is really useless here, for example. But how do I open it as a ZIP file?..there is no option shown on the screen to do so!

:cry: Any help??

Computer science news on Phys.org
Windows XP has its own unzipping utility...
and WinRar costs $$$
------------------------
I'm just trying to find the location of the WinXP unzip program (that comes w/WinXP)..so I can finally unzip that file...
But the option doesn't appear! Why not?
Are there files for which WinXP inherently doesn't want to give an unzip option
when people scroll through "Open With..."? (b/c it works for other files!)

Check,
quickzip and powerarchiver here.

-- AI

bomba923 said:
Windows XP has its own unzipping utility...
and WinRar costs $$$
------------------------
I'm just trying to find the location of the WinXP unzip program (that comes w/WinXP)..so I can finally unzip that file...
But the option doesn't appear! Why not?
Are there files for which WinXP inherently doesn't want to give an unzip option
when people scroll through "Open With..."? (b/c it works for other files!)

I don't think Win XP compression features can deal with .ace files. As far as I'm aware it can only handle .zip files. You need WinRAR for .ace files. You can get it as a trial version.

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Windows XP only decompresses .zip files...Just get the trial version of Winrar

the trial version of winrar will not run out, I use it all the time to zip and unzip files.

bomba923 said:
I'm using Windows XP, and it comes with its own unzipping program.
I'm trying to unzip an ACE file...but when I click "Open With", the option to "unzip it"...treat it as a ZIP file...is not there! No option even there!

Instead...I just a get a useless list of all my desktop programs. Where is the Windows XP "ZIP" program...where is it located, so I can open this file ? I tried to associate ACE with ZIP files...and no! No option shown on the screen for doing so! However, I can make it an .exe file...which is really useless here, for example. But how do I open it as a ZIP file?..there is no option shown on the screen to do so!

:cry: Any help??

does 7-zip deal with that extension? it is a gpl project and the binary is free.

1. How do I unzip an ACE file in Windows XP?

To unzip an ACE file in Windows XP, you will need to download and install a third-party software such as WinRAR or 7-Zip. Once installed, right-click on the ACE file and select the "Extract" option from the context menu. Choose a destination folder and click "OK" to unzip the file.

2. Can I unzip an ACE file using the built-in zip utility in Windows XP?

No, the built-in zip utility in Windows XP does not support ACE files. You will need to use a third-party software to unzip an ACE file.

3. Is it safe to unzip an ACE file in Windows XP?

As long as you download the ACE file from a trusted source and use a reputable software to unzip it, it is generally safe to unzip an ACE file in Windows XP. However, it is always recommended to use caution when opening files from unknown sources.

4. Can I unzip an ACE file on a Mac or Linux computer?

Yes, there are third-party software available for Mac and Linux systems that support unzipping ACE files. Some examples include The Unarchiver for Mac and p7zip for Linux.

5. What do I do if I encounter errors while unzipping an ACE file in Windows XP?

If you encounter errors while unzipping an ACE file in Windows XP, it could be due to a corrupt or incomplete file. Try re-downloading the file and make sure you have a stable internet connection. If the issue persists, you may need to contact the sender of the file for a new copy.