Help? I don't get this at all.

• Thread starter missequivocal
  • Start date
In summary, a spherical piece of metal weighing 0.65 kg was found at the bottom of a wishing well. Its mass was calculated to be 12631.82046 kg if it were made of pure gold, and its weight in kilograms would be 123791.8405.
missequivocal

Homework Statement

A perfectly spherical piece of metal is found at the bottom of a wishing well. The mass of the object is 0.65 kg and the radius is .25 m. What would be it's weight if it had the same volume and were made of pure gold? The density of pure gold is 19,3000 kg/m^3. Answer in units of N.

Homework Equations

volume = (4 Pi radius^3) / 3

The Attempt at a Solution

volume = (4 pi .25^3)/3
volume = 0.06544984694978735
volume * 19,300 = 12631.82046

My main issue is the units of N. Could someone help me with what exctly this is and how to convert to it?

I'm just looking for tips, and then I can attempt the problem and post again if I have more issues!
Thank you!
Sorry. I'm new to physics and this just confuses me.
Help would be great, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
note that you have been given radius of the sphere.. hence you know the volume and you know density of gold (given). can then find mass and if you know the acceleration due to gravity... then you can work everything out...

almost there. density is how much an arbitrary measure weighs, it could be 20 # per teaspoon, You have 1/2 teaspoon it weighs 10 #. Here you have about .06 meter^3. Youre given what it "weighs" per cubic meter. Then since this is mass not weight, multiply by 9.8 as suggested above to convert "mass" to "weight" as masse is an inherent property, while weight is particular to situations when doing things with it up or down against gravity.

Last edited:
Yeah but what is the equation for Newtons? I need my ending unit to be Newtons.
I can work it out it's just I need the equation to finish it.
:P

Last edited:
I tried to submit the answer
12631.82046 * 9.8 which equals = 123791.8405

Isn't that in units of N?

F = mass * acceleration is what I used.

But it rejected the answer. (We use a HW website)
So where did I go wrong?

Right so compute the mass by multiplying volume by density. Then multiply by 9.8 to convert mass to Newtons.

Argh! Nevermind.
I had acidentally slipped the decimal place into the wrong spot.
Thanks everyone for you help! Finally got it right.

Missed adecimal point I think, try again.

Mass= Volume*Density
Weight(kg)=Mass*9.81
(We use the kg system here .. can't say about lbs!)

but I wonder how is mass given in Kg?? mass must be in Newtons.. aint'it? or am drunk at the moment?

Last edited:
Could be but if you're lurching in any direction, its in Newtons.

1. What is the purpose of the experiment or project?

The purpose of the experiment or project may vary depending on the specific topic and research objectives. However, in general, the purpose is to gather data and evidence to answer a specific scientific question or to test a hypothesis.

2. Can you explain the methodology or procedures in simpler terms?

Absolutely! Science can often be complex and difficult to understand, so it's important to break down the methodology or procedures into simpler terms. Essentially, it involves a systematic approach to conducting experiments or collecting data in order to reach a conclusion or make a discovery.

3. How do you analyze and interpret the data?

The analysis and interpretation of data can vary depending on the type of data collected and the specific research question. However, in general, scientists use statistical methods and other tools to analyze and interpret the data objectively and accurately.

4. What are the implications of the results?

The implications of the results can also vary depending on the specific topic and research objectives. Generally, the results of a scientific experiment or project can provide new insights and knowledge about a particular phenomenon or contribute to the existing body of scientific knowledge.

5. How can I apply this information in real life?

The application of scientific information in real life can also depend on the specific topic and findings. However, many scientific discoveries and advancements have practical applications and can potentially improve our daily lives and the world in various ways.