HELP i dont no how to do this problem

• Thread starter lilmixbrunette1
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a flare being fired straight up from a truck traveling at a constant speed. The goal is to determine the time the flare was in the air, the horizontal distance it traveled before landing back in the truck, and the maximum height it reached. While there are multiple equations that could potentially be used to solve this problem, considering the energy of the flare and using the initial vertical velocity can also lead to a solution. It is important to note that the flare travels horizontally at the same speed as the truck. Posting the same question in multiple forums is against the rules.
lilmixbrunette1
Problem:
A flare was fired straight up at a speed of 25 m/s from the bed of a truck traveling along a level road at a speed of 15 m/s.

a. Assuming the flare landed back in the bed of the truck, how much time was the flare in the air?

b. How far horizontally did the flare travel before landing back in the bed of the truck?

c. What maximum height did the flare reach?

Some equations that i thought might help with this problem are
deltaX=vi+deltaT*1/2adeltaT^2
but since i do not no the cange in X or the time i can not use this equation

To try and figure out this problem i made a chart showing what horizontal and vertical things that i already knew

H V
0=ax ay=10 m/s^2​
15 m/s=Vxi Vyi=25 m/s​
=deltaX deltaXy=​
deltaT=​

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could do this by considering energy. There are a number of ways to do it. As I read it you have plenty of information here to do it with.

how would i use energy to solve a problem on projectiles?

because i haven't learned how to use energy in problems like this i would need some guidance or a different way to solve the problem that is more commonly used for motion projectile problems

You can work out how long the flare was in the air, and high it goes, just from its initial vertical velocity. If the flare has mass m then the initial kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2, v= 25 m/s. When it turns around and strats falling it has potential energy mgh. Set these equal and you can work out h. Remember that the flare travels horizontally at the same speed as the truck.

You've posted the same question in two forums. That is against the rules. Next time I'll report you.

Related to HELP i dont no how to do this problem

1. What should I do if I don't know how to solve a problem?

First, read the problem carefully and try to understand what it is asking. Then, look for any information or equations that may be relevant. If you are still unsure, try breaking the problem into smaller parts and solving each one individually. You can also ask a classmate or teacher for help.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. Choose a variety of problems from different subjects and try to solve them on your own. If you get stuck, review the solution and understand why it works. You can also seek out online resources or books that provide tips and strategies for problem-solving.

3. What if I can't find the answer to a problem?

If you have exhausted all your resources and still cannot find the answer to a problem, it is important not to get discouraged. It is possible that the problem is very difficult or requires knowledge beyond your current level. In this case, it is okay to ask for help from a teacher or tutor.

4. How do I know if my answer to a problem is correct?

Double-checking your work is essential to ensure that your answer is correct. If possible, try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same answer. You can also use online calculators or ask a classmate to verify your answer. Additionally, make sure to check for any errors in calculation or unit conversions.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular type of problem?

If you are struggling with a specific type of problem, make sure to review the relevant concepts and formulas. You can also seek out additional resources, such as practice problems or video tutorials, to help you better understand the topic. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher or classmates for clarification or extra practice. Practice and persistence are key to improving your understanding of a difficult problem.