Help in a channel coding question

In summary, the conversation discusses a particular channel coder with a generator matrix of [1 1 1 1 1] and its allowable codewords, which are 00000 and 11111. The code is called a repetition code and has a minimum distance of 5, meaning it can correct any errors as long as the received codeword differs from the closest codeword by no more than 5 bits. The correction process involves the receiver comparing the received codeword with all possible codewords and requesting a re-transmission if needed.
blue_tiger30

Homework Statement

Consider a particular channel coder that has a generator matrix G =[1 1 1 1 1]
1 -Generate all the allowable codewords for c . What do you think this code is called?
2- What is the minimum distance for this codeword? Describe how it might work to correct errors.

Homework Equations

c=m*G = [m*p m*I]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the 1st part for the question which is 2 allowable codewords 00000 , 11111 . but i tried looking for what these codes are called I couldn't find a name for them ! or is he meaning the name of the channel coder ?
the 2nd part I got the minimum distance to be 5 since that we only have 2 allowable code and the change in them is 5 , I don't know how to describe how they might correct an error so if u could please help me in this part as well .

Please notify me if u think my answers are wrong as well

many thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For part 1, the code is called a repetition code. It is a type of error-correcting code in which the same bit (generally a binary digit) is sent multiple times to increase the probability that the receiver will correctly receive the data.For part 2, the minimum distance for this codeword is 5. This means that any two codewords must differ in at least 5 bits in order for the code to be able to correct any errors. The way this code works to correct errors is by having the receiver compare the received codeword with all the possible codewords and then choose the one that is the closest match. If the received codeword differs from the closest codeword by more than the minimum distance, then an error is assumed to have occurred. In this case, the receiver can then send a request for a re-transmission of the codeword.

Related to Help in a channel coding question

1. What is channel coding?

Channel coding is a method used in telecommunications to improve the reliability of data transmission over a noisy channel. It involves adding redundant information to the original message to enable error detection and correction.

2. Why is channel coding important?

Channel coding is important because it helps to ensure the accuracy and integrity of data transmission. In noisy channels, errors can occur during transmission and without channel coding, these errors can significantly affect the quality of the received data.

3. What are the types of channel coding?

There are two main types of channel coding: forward error correction (FEC) and error detection and correction (EDAC). FEC involves adding redundant information to the original message to enable the receiver to correct errors, while EDAC involves adding redundant information to the original message to enable the receiver to detect and request for retransmission of any corrupted data.

4. How does channel coding work?

Channel coding works by adding extra bits to the original message before transmission. These extra bits, also known as parity bits, allow the receiver to detect and correct errors that may have occurred during transmission. The specific coding scheme used determines the number of parity bits added and how they are used to detect and correct errors.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a channel coding scheme?

When choosing a channel coding scheme, factors such as the type of channel (noise level, bandwidth, etc.), the desired error detection and correction capabilities, and the complexity and processing power of the receiver should be considered. Different coding schemes have different trade-offs in terms of error correction capabilities, data rate, and computational complexity.