Choosing between Hebrew University, Tel Aviv University and Technion for physics and math

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
DaniV
Messages
31
Reaction score
3
In the next semester (October 2016) I want to start learning physics with preferation for learning in a program that including two subjects- physics and math for the 1st degree.
My will it`s to advance to theoretical research and to get a Doctor degree, even co-operate with international organization such as Cern for my future research.

I am living in Israel and want to study there,
my best options are: Hebrew university,
Tel Aviv university and the Technion.
I have a diploma (Bagrut) that standing in the criterions
and i even not need to do Psychrometric exam only a english test (Amir).
I hear that the technion is the best for technical and physics research but their study is focused only on one subject program that including only physics.
But yet the technions level isn't getting far from those other university in their international achievments in the research pattern.
Or should I give up on my dreams and trying to test the psychometric exam and learn more realistic subject such as machine enginerring or electric enginerring, and be an enginner and earn for a living?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DaniV said:
In the next semester (October 2016) I want to start learning physics with preferation for learning in a program that including two subjects- physics and math for the 1st degree.
My will it`s to advance to theoretical research and to get a Doctor degree, even co-operate with international organization such as Cern for my future research.

I am living in Israel and want to study there,
my best options are: Hebrew university,
Tel Aviv university and the Technion.
I have a diploma (Bagrut) that standing in the criterions
and i even not need to do Psychrometric exam only a english test (Amir).
I hear that the technion is the best for technical and physics research but their study is focused only on one subject program that including only physics.
But yet the technions level isn't getting far from those other university in their international achievments in the research pattern.
Or should I give up on my dreams and trying to test the psychometric exam and learn more realistic subject such as machine enginerring or electric enginerring, and be an enginner and earn for a living?

Are you ruling out other studying in other countries? Just to know where you stand.
 
WWGD said:
Are you ruling out other studying in other countries? Just to know where you stand.
I prefer to study in my own country, I don't plan on studying in other countries yet, but I won't rul out for suggestions in other countries.
 
DaniV said:
I prefer to study in my own country, I don't plan on studying in other countries yet, but I won't rul out for suggestions in other countries.
And you are going for an undergraduate degree next October, or a graduate degree?
 
I think I have attended talks by professors from Tel Aviv university, I am under the impression they have a strong physics department.

If you are talking about graduate programs, the Weitzmann institute is most likely the best place. They have some great people there, I know of a lot of people in my field there that are very well regarded and also of postdocs who did their grad work over there.
 
It will help if you know your area of main interest, though this is not likely and I don't think really
necessary at an undergraduate level, where your goal is to get your feet wet. If you are doing graduate
work, look for a prof. in your area of interest and contact him/her.