How can I simplify this integral equation with a complex numerator?

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying an integral equation that results in 2(1-x)^1/2 + C. The equation can be reduced to \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x}} by using the property (\sqrt{1-x})^2= 1-x. The next step is to input this in the denominator of the integrand and then cancel out some terms in the numerator and denominator. However, the person is stuck on how to divide the square roots.
AntonioDuarte2001
Homework Statement
Help 4 integral equation
Relevant Equations
in the description
Hello. I need help in simplifying this integral equation, i know the final result must be 2(1-x)^1/2 + C. I been stuck on this one for a while.

Attachments

• 20201124_103033.jpg
    20201124_103033.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 117
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. It is easily reduced to
[tex] - \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x}}[/tex]

anuttarasammyak said:
Hi. It is easily reduced to
[tex] - \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x}}[/tex]
I don't understand why.. can you show me the steps of the simplifying?

[tex](\sqrt{1-x})^2= ?[/tex]

anuttarasammyak said:
[tex](\sqrt{1-x})^2= ?[/tex]
1-x

OK, then input it in denominator of your integrand.

anuttarasammyak said:
OK, then input it in denominator of your integrand.
And now?

Attachments

• 20201124_111133.jpg
    20201124_111133.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 107
Cancel some stuff in the numerator and denominator. Do you see what you can cancel?

Office_Shredder said:
Cancel some stuff in the numerator and denominator. Do you see what you can cancel?
Thats my doubt! I can't divide anything in the square roots..

The numerator is more than just the stuff in your parentheses. Look at your whole expression.

1. What is an integral equation?

An integral equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function within an integral. It is used to describe relationships between functions and is often used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How do I solve an integral equation?

The process of solving an integral equation depends on the specific equation and the techniques used in integral calculus. In general, one must manipulate the equation to isolate the unknown function and then use integration techniques to solve for it.

3. What are some applications of integral equations?

Integral equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to model physical phenomena, such as heat transfer and fluid flow, and can also be used to solve differential equations.

4. Are there different types of integral equations?

Yes, there are several types of integral equations, including Fredholm equations, Volterra equations, and singular integral equations. Each type has its own characteristics and methods for solving.

5. Can integral equations be solved numerically?

Yes, integral equations can be solved numerically using numerical integration methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. This is often necessary for complex or non-analytic equations that cannot be solved analytically.