Help Intro Physic problem dealing with Kinetic

In summary, a model rocket is launched with an initial speed of 46.7 m/s and accelerates at a constant rate of 2.16 m/s2 until its engines stop at an altitude of 138 m. To find the maximum height, we use the equation vf^2=2a(xf-xi)+vi^2 to solve for vf, which is 52.7 m/s. From there, we can treat the rocket as a free fall problem and use the equation Xf = Vi(t) + (1/2)(at^2) - Xi to find the time it takes to reach maximum height, which is 5.38 seconds. Plugging this value back into the equation, we get
Kennyh

Homework Statement

A model rocket is launched straight upward with an initial speed of 46.7 m/s. It accelerates with a constant upward acceleration of 2.16 m/s2 until its engines stop at an altitude of 138 m.
What is the maximum height reached by the rocket?

How long after lift off does the rocket reach its maximum height?

How long is the rocket in the air?

Homework Equations

What I found out from the given information above is that xi=o,xf=138m,vi=0m/s,vf=?,a= 2.16m/s2, and t= is ?.
I used this equation = vf^2=2a(xf-xi)+vi^2 to find Vf and vf was 52.7 m/s. from this point on I do not know how to find the maximum height or the other two question? Please help thank you very much

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
From the point where the engine stops, its acceleration becomes -9.8 m/s^2, so treat it as a free fall problem, in which Vi = 52.7 m/s, Xo = 0, Xf = ?, Vf = 0, a = -9.8 m/s^2, solve for Xf, and then add that height to 138, and that would be the maximum height.

In the given problem, the initial velocity vi is not zero. It is 46.7 m/s .

rl.bhat said:
In the given problem, the initial velocity vi is not zero. It is 46.7 m/s .
He probably made a typing error, he got Vf for the first part correct...

Kennyh said:
thanks a lot Quincy, as for the informations you gave me I was looking at this equation --- xf = Vi(t) + (1/2)(at^2) - Xi. Do I have to find an equation to figure out time first? thanks sorry for the inconveniences.
Yes, figure out the time first, using the equation Vf = Vi + at

I found out t= 5.38s
So I plug it in the equation: Xf = 52.7*5.38+(1/2)(-9.8)(5.38)^2 = 141.7 m
Then 138+141.7 = 279.7m but it was not the right answer, am I doing this wrong?

Kennyh said:
I found out t= 5.38s
So I plug it in the equation: Xf = 52.7*5.38+(1/2)(-9.8)(5.38)^2 = 141.7 m
Then 138+141.7 = 279.7m but it was not the right answer, am I doing this wrong?
What does your book say is the right answer?

It is not the book, it's an online homework

Kennyh said:
It is not the book, it's an online homework

Perhaps it's a rounding error; does it specify to round to the nearest tenth/hundredth/etc?

I don't think so the computer is very easy on those if you a couple off the decimal it is fine. thanks for your help

Another user (malik123) was having the some problem in a similar thread; maybe you guys are on the same online program?

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a scalar quantity and is dependent on an object's mass and velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. How does kinetic energy relate to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are both forms of energy, but they are different types. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration.

4. Can kinetic energy be negative?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative. Since it is a scalar quantity, it only has a magnitude and no direction. Therefore, it cannot be negative.

5. How does friction affect kinetic energy?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, so it can decrease an object's kinetic energy by slowing it down. This is because friction converts some of the object's kinetic energy into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.