1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help limit problem multivariable!

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    lim (x^2+y^2)/((root(x^2+y^2+1) - 1)
    (x,y)-->(0,0)
    what is the limit

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]
    \lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac {x^2 + y^2}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + 1} - 1} = \lim_{r \to 0} \frac {r^2}{\sqrt{r^2 + 1} - 1}
    [/tex]

I got this far the answer are 2 but i dont know how it is 2.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2
    how come no one is helping?

4. Feb 25, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps because people are not sitting around with nothing to do but answer your questions! You waited a whole 29 minutes? Patience, grasshopper.

Switching to polar coordinates is a very good idea. That way, (x,y) going to (0,0) is the same as the single variable, r, going to 0. As long as the result is independent of the angle [itex]\theta[/itex], that is the limit. Now, the difficulty is that when you substitute r= 0 in the fraction, you get "0/0". Do you remember any methods from Calculus I for doing that? Perhaps L'Hopital's rule? Or maybe "rationalizing the denominator" by multiplying both numerator and denominator by [itex]\sqrt{r^2+ 1}+ 1[/itex]

5. Feb 25, 2008 #4
    thanks for the help. I got it! (one more thing, I am a grasshopper!) :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?