Help ly need someone to help me check pulley problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a pulley system where two masses are connected by a light string. The mass on the left is 1.00 kg and the mass on the right is 6.50 kg, with the right mass being 2.00 m above the ground. The system is released from rest and the question is asking for the speed of each object before the right mass hits the ground. The proposed solution is to use the formula mgh + (mv^2)/2 + (Mv^2)/2 = mgh + (mV^2)/2 + (Mv^2)/2, with the correct constants substituted in.
squintyeyes
Help urgently need someone to help me check pulley problem

Two masses are connected over a small pulley using a light string. The mass on the left is 1.00 kg and the mass on the right is 6.50 kg. The mass on the right is a distance 2.00 m above the ground. The system is released from rest as shown in the animation below.

What is the speed of each object just before the mass on the right strikes the ground?
________________m/s

Attempt
mgh + (mv^2)/2 + (Mv^2)/2 = mgh + (mV^2)/2 + (Mv^2)/2
(6.5)(9.8)(2) + 0 + 0 = 1(9.8)(2) + (6.5v^2)/2 + V^2/2
(6.5)(9.8)(2) = 1(9.8)(2) + (7.5v^2)/2

If i solve for this will i get the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org

squintyeyes said:
Attempt
mgh + (mv^2)/2 + (Mv^2)/2 = mgh + (mV^2)/2 + (Mv^2)/2
(6.5)(9.8)(2) + 0 + 0 = 1(9.8)(2) + (6.5v^2)/2 + V^2/2
(6.5)(9.8)(2) = 1(9.8)(2) + (7.5v^2)/2

If i solve for this will i get the right answer?

Yes. You switched some symbols in the first line which should be:

mgh + (mv^2)/2 + (Mv^2)/2 = Mgh + (mV^2)/2 + (MV^2)/2

but you substituted all the right constants anyway.

thanks

1. What is a pulley problem?

A pulley problem is a physics problem that involves using the principles of pulleys to determine the mechanical advantage and force required to lift or move an object.

2. How do I check a pulley problem?

To check a pulley problem, you will need to identify the number of pulleys in the system, determine the mechanical advantage of each pulley, and calculate the total force required to lift or move the object.

3. What are the common mistakes in solving pulley problems?

Some common mistakes in solving pulley problems include forgetting to include the weight of the pulleys, using the wrong formulas for mechanical advantage, and not considering the direction of the force on each pulley.

4. What are the applications of pulleys in real life?

Pulleys have many practical applications in everyday life, including elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. They are also used in exercise machines and for lifting heavy objects.

5. How can I improve my understanding of pulley problems?

To improve your understanding of pulley problems, you can practice solving different types of pulley problems, watch videos or read articles that explain the concepts, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.