Help Me Analyze Particle Moving in Inverse Cubic Force Field

• Thread starter Odyssey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Urgent
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a physics question involving a particle moving in an inverse cubic, central, conservative force field and the conservation of angular momentum and total energy. They need guidance on how to describe the possible orbits for different values of energy and angular momentum. They also mention V(R) as the potential function and ask for advice on how to use LaTex for displaying mathematical symbols.
Odyssey
Urgent! I really need help please!

Sorry for posting this question again. Lemme try to rephrase my question if it helps :frown: . Please help me get started on this question. I am really stuck and time is running out! :cry: I don't want the answer, I just need some pointers to get me going and headed in the right direction.

A particle moves in an inverse cubic, central, conservative force field. The force is
F = -Amr^-3,

where A = some constant,
m = mass of particle (pt. mass)
r = distance

I know that the angular momentum L (its 3 components) are conserved under a central force. The total energy is also conserved since the force is conservative.

L = m r^2 θ'
E = (1/2) m (r')^2 + (1/2) m r^2 θ'^2 + V(R)
The 2 equations above are written in polar coordinate form.

Is V(R) = - / F? (/ = integral...sorry) :frown:

How should I go about in describing the possible orbits of a particle moving under the influence of such a force? I have to consider the following cases: E = 0, E < 0, and E > 0, for non-zero angular momentum cases.

I need some desperate guidelines to get me started. Please give some advices. Thanks in advance! :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
What is V(R)? If you need to display integrals or other math. symbols, use LaTex.

V(R) is the potential as a function of R.

Related to Help Me Analyze Particle Moving in Inverse Cubic Force Field

1. How do you calculate the force on a particle in an inverse cubic force field?

The force on a particle in an inverse cubic force field is calculated using the formula F = k/r3, where k is the constant of proportionality and r is the distance between the particle and the center of the force field.

2. What is the relationship between the force and the distance in an inverse cubic force field?

The relationship between the force and the distance in an inverse cubic force field is inverse cubed, meaning that as the distance between the particle and the center of the force field increases, the force decreases at a rate of 1/r3.

3. How does the magnitude of the force change as the particle moves closer or further away from the center of the force field?

The magnitude of the force in an inverse cubic force field decreases as the particle moves further away from the center of the force field and increases as the particle moves closer to the center. This is due to the inverse cubed relationship between force and distance.

4. What is the acceleration of a particle in an inverse cubic force field?

The acceleration of a particle in an inverse cubic force field is given by the formula a = F/m, where F is the force on the particle and m is the mass of the particle.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life situation that can be modeled using an inverse cubic force field?

One example of a real-life situation that can be modeled using an inverse cubic force field is the gravitational force between two objects. According to Newton's Law of Gravity, the force between two objects is inversely proportional to the distance between them squared, which can be approximated as an inverse cubic relationship for larger distances.