Factor Out 3x^2+3x-2 | Simplify Homework Equation | Expert Tips

• Thread starter banana_banana
  • Start date
In summary, To factor the expression 3x^2+3x-2, set up a generalized couple of binomials and try different combinations of numbers. If this method does not work, you can use the quadratic formula to find the zeros of the function and factor it using radicals. If the zeros are not integers, the expression cannot be factored with integer coefficients.
banana_banana

Homework Statement

how to factor this out. 3x^2+3x-2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? Didn't you learn the general method for solving/factoring quadratic expressions?

You have a quadratic trinomial. Set up a generalized couple of binomials and systematically try likely combinations of numbers. Have you been shown or have you seen exemplified the F.O.I.L. method?

i couldn't find any. and already tried as i could.

Maybe this one is really not factorable. I tried several combinations and could not find two binomial factors. Possibly we were not thorough enough?

Well it may not be factorable in a "nice form", but it can still be factorised out using radicals by the quadratic formula, if that is what he wants.

If nothing else works you can use the quadratic formula to find the zeros of the function. If they are not integers, then it cannot be factored with integer coefficients. You could still factor it with radicals as Defennder says.

1. What does it mean to "factor out" in an equation?

When factoring an equation, you are essentially breaking down the terms into their simplest form. In this case, "factoring out" means to find the common factor that can be divided from each term in the equation.

2. How do I determine the common factor in an equation?

The common factor is the number or variable that can be divided from each term in the equation without leaving any remainder. In this case, the common factor for 3x^2+3x-2 would be 3.

3. Why do we factor out an equation?

Factoring an equation helps simplify it and make it easier to solve. It also allows us to find common patterns and relationships among the terms in the equation.

4. Can I factor out more than one term in an equation?

Yes, you can factor out more than one term in an equation as long as they have a common factor. However, the order in which you factor out the terms may affect the final result.

5. How do I know if I have factored out an equation correctly?

You can check if your factored out equation is correct by distributing the common factor back into the terms. The resulting equation should be equivalent to the original one.