Solving Vector Addition Problems: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the first question involves a car that drives off a 55m high cliff and the police determining the car's speed based on the point of impact being 126m from the base of the cliff. The second question is about adding vectors using components and solving for the magnitude of the resulting vector. The third question involves setting up Newton's 2nd law of motion and determining the only nonzero component of the initial velocity vector when the car was on top of the cliff.
charvonne coates
help me please!

1.a car drives straight off the edge of a cliff that is 55m high. the police at the scene of the accident note that the point of impact is 126m from the base of the cliff. how fast was the car traveling when it went over the cliff?

I just need a hint of where to start?

2.another question is about addition of vectors by means of components.
I have the magnitude of three vecors
a=5m north , b=17m east, and c=25m south east how do i solve for the line a+b+c?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AGAIN:
1. Set up Newton's 2.law of motion for this roblem

What is the only nonzero component of the initial velocity vector when the car was on top of the cliff?

1. How do I know which direction to add vectors?

The direction of a vector is represented by the angle it makes with a reference axis. To add vectors, you must first align them so that their reference angles are the same. This can be done by using a protractor or by drawing a scaled diagram.

2. What is the difference between scalar and vector addition?

Scalar addition involves adding two or more quantities that have only magnitude, such as length, mass, or distance. Vector addition, on the other hand, involves adding quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement, velocity, or force.

3. How do I add vectors that are not in the same plane?

To add vectors that are not in the same plane, you must first resolve them into components using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. Once the vectors are in their respective components, you can add them along each axis separately.

4. Can I use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve vector addition problems?

Yes, the Pythagorean Theorem can be used to solve vector addition problems, but only when the vectors are at right angles to each other. In this case, the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the two vectors represents the resultant vector.

5. What are some real-life applications of vector addition?

Vector addition is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. In physics, it is used to calculate the net force acting on an object. In engineering, it is used to determine the resultant force on a structure. In navigation, it is used to calculate the heading and velocity of a moving object.