1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

, help me to solve this problem

1. Sep 23, 2005 #1
    plz, help me to solve this problem

hi, how r u guys? i'm a new member of this site. i couldn't solve this problem that given below, can anyone help me to solve this problem kindly?

"two tiny conducting balls of identical mass 'm' and identical charge 'q' hang from nonconducting threads of length 'L'. Assume that 'thita' (angle) is so small that 'tan thita' can be replaced by its approximate equal 'Sin thita'.For equilibrium find the 'X' where 'X' is the separation between the balls.
    :blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We'll be happy to help you! Just show us what you have tried and where you have difficulty so we'll know what kind of help you need.

And, by the way, don't post the same question repeatedly! It doesn't help.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  4. Sep 23, 2005 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Here are some hints:
    (1) Draw yourself a diagram of the balls and threads.
    (2) Identify all the forces acting on one of the balls. (I count three forces acting.) Draw them on your diagram.
    (3) Apply the conditions for equilibrium: The net force on each ball must be zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?