How to Integrate (r^2 + a^2)^-3/2 using u-substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation of d(r^2) as the differential of r^2 with respect to r, and the use of substitution in the integration of (r^2 + a^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

[tex] \int_0^R \! \frac{2rdr}{(r^2+x^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} [/tex]
[tex] \int_0^R \! (r^2+x^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}}d(r^2) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

how did you get from line 1 to 2

Physics news on Phys.org
d(r^2)=2rdr

oh I see... so [tex]d(r^2)[/tex] just basically means taking the derivative of [tex]r^2[/tex] with respect with r?
I am not familiar with that notation

Not quite. [itex]d\left(r^2\right)[/itex] is the differential of [itex]r^2[/itex] with respect to [itex]r[/itex].

-EquinoX- said:
oh I see... so [tex]d(r^2)[/tex] just basically means taking the derivative of [tex]r^2[/tex] with respect with r?
I am not familiar with that notation
I bet you are! (plus or minus a twist)

Consider [tex]I = \int (u + a^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, du.[/tex]

Let [tex]u = r^2,[/tex] so [tex]du = 2r\, dr.[/tex] Then

[tex]I = \int (r^2 + a^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, 2r \, dr\, \text{!}[/tex]

Unco said:
I bet you are! (plus or minus a twist)

Consider [tex]I = \int (u + a^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, du.[/tex]

Let [tex]u = r^2,[/tex] so [tex]du = 2r\, dr.[/tex] Then

[tex]I = \int (r^2 + a^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}} \, 2r \, dr\, \text{!}[/tex]

thanks for clearing that up

FAQ: How to Integrate (r^2 + a^2)^-3/2 using u-substitution

1. What are integral skills?

Integral skills refer to the ability to solve integrals, which are mathematical equations used to find the area under a curve. It is an important concept in calculus and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is it important to have good integral skills?

Having good integral skills is important because it allows one to solve complex mathematical problems and understand real-world phenomena. It is also a fundamental skill required for further study in advanced mathematics and many other scientific fields.

3. How can I improve my integral skills?

One way to improve your integral skills is to practice solving different types of integrals using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to review the basic concepts of calculus and seek help from a tutor or online resources.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic simplification, and not checking for extraneous solutions. It is also important to pay attention to the limits of integration and use the correct integration technique.

5. How can integral skills be applied in real life?

Integral skills have numerous real-life applications, such as calculating the area under a curve to find the volume of a solid in engineering, determining the total cost or profit in economics, and analyzing motion and acceleration in physics. They can also be used in data analysis and optimization problems in various fields.

Back