Help momentum, recoil speed [simple]

In summary, the problem involved a rifle with a mass of 1.8 kg and a bullet with a mass of 9 g traveling at a speed of 800 m/s. Using the equation p=mv, it was determined that the momentum of the bullet and the recoil must be equal, leading to a recoil speed of 40 m/s in the opposite direction of the bullet.
davedays

Homework Statement

A bullet m= 9.0 g leaves the barrel of a rifle with a speed = 8.0 x 10 ^2 ms-1 (by the may I am sure - is this 80 ms-1 ?)

The mass of the rifle = 1.8 kg
The rifle is free to move back
Calculate the speed of recoil

Homework Equations

I figured I would need these :
p=mv
F=mv/t

I'm not sure wether that's all I need.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first of all I think that the momentum 1 way = the momentum the other way.
so

p1=p2

m1 x v1 = m2 x v2

9 [g] x 80 [ms-1] = 1800 g (1.8 kg right ?) x V2

720 = 1800 V2

V2= 720/1800

V2= 0.4

Is this correct guys ?

Physics news on Phys.org
the way you solve the problem is correct however i think you have a mistake about the speed of the bullet. 8.0x10^2 means the bullet moves with a velocity of 800 m/s.

according to my calculations the answer is 40 m/s...

hmm not sure about that .. maybe I have another mistake

m1 x v1 = m2 x v2

9 x 800 = 1800 x v2

7200 = 1800 v2

v2 = 7200 / 1800
v2 = 4

isnt it 4 ms -1 ?

yes the method you have used is correct however as cryphonus said, the velocity is 800 m/s. also grams is not the si unit for mass, kilograms is. so you want to use 0.009kg and 1.8kg as the masses.

i got an answer of 4 m/s

thanks a lot guys

Ok; here is how i solved it; initial momentum is
800 m/s.0.09 kg (mass of the bullet in kilogram);

which is 72 m.kg/s

so if the initial momentum is 72 m.kg/s the final value should be equal to 72 also;

P(final)=1,8kg (mass of the rifle).V(recoilspeed)

72=1,8.V

V=40 m/s ,
it is in the opposite direction of the bullet so if you express the speed of the bullet as a positive value, you have to express the recoil speed as negative

any corrections are welcome...

9 g =0.009kg not 0.09kg

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity.

How is momentum related to recoil speed?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system before and after an interaction remains constant. This means that the momentum of an object that is recoiling will be equal and opposite to the momentum of the object it is interacting with.

What is the formula for calculating momentum?

Momentum (p) = mass (m) x velocity (v)

How does mass affect momentum?

As the mass of an object increases, its momentum also increases. This means that a heavier object will have more momentum than a lighter object traveling at the same velocity.

What is the difference between momentum and velocity?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes an object's speed and direction of motion, while momentum is a vector quantity that describes an object's mass and motion. Velocity can change without changing an object's momentum if the mass also changes.