Calculate Car Impact Force on Steel Structure | Help Needed from Belgium

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the impact of a small car on a metal structure. The car has a mass of 99 kg and a velocity of 3 km/h, resulting in a force of 82.5 Newton. The structure is made of steel tubes and keyclamps, with a diameter of 42.4 mm and a weight of 2.57 kg/m. The challenge is determining the structure's ability to absorb impact and the difficulty in calculating this due to the structure being fastened to the ground with screws. The speaker acknowledges their limited knowledge in this area and requests assistance.
Smirnoff103
Hello,

I need to calculate the impact that a car (small car) has on a metal structure.

What I know:
The mass of the car : 99 kg, the velocity of the car : max 3 km / h -> 0,833333 m / s
Thus the force of the car at 3 km / h is 82,5 Newton.

Now I need to know how much that metal structure can receive as impact.
The structure is made of steel tubes with keyclamps. The tubes have a diameter of 42,4 mm and they weights 2.57 kg / m.
The thing is that the structure is fasten in the ground with screws :p what doesn't make it easier to calculate I guess.

I know it's a long shot, but if somebody could help me out how I can try to find something out to give a result ?
The thing is I have learned all of these at high school but it's too long ago and can't remember :(

Thanks for your help.

Regards from Belgium

Likes kaushikhm
Physics news on Phys.org
Smirnoff103 said:
The mass of the car : 99 kg, the velocity of the car : max 3 km / h -> 0,833333 m / s
Thus the force of the car at 3 km / h is 82,5 Newton.
Sorry, that result is not even dimensionally correct. The product of mass and velocity has units of kilogram meters per second. That is a unit of momentum. The Newton has units of kilogram meters per second squared. It is a unit of force.

However, you have another problem. Force, momentum, energy... None of them is a single magical number that equates to how much damage an impact will cause or how much a structure can absorb without permanent damage (though energy comes close). Collisions are complicated. Real world experience and experiment trumps high school physics calculations every time.

1. What is a force calculation?

A force calculation is a process of determining the amount of force acting on an object in a given situation. It involves using mathematical formulas and principles to quantify the force and its effects.

2. Why is a force calculation important?

A force calculation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects under different forces and how they will move or react. This information is crucial in engineering, physics, and many other fields where forces play a significant role.

3. What factors are involved in a force calculation?

The factors involved in a force calculation include the mass of the object, its acceleration, and the type of force acting on it. Other variables such as distance and time may also be considered, depending on the specific situation.

4. How do you perform a force calculation?

To perform a force calculation, you first need to identify the object and the forces acting on it. Then, you can use Newton's second law of motion (F = ma) or other relevant equations to calculate the force. It is important to use the correct units and to consider all factors involved.

5. What are some common applications of force calculations?

Force calculations have a wide range of applications, including engineering design, predicting the motion of objects, analyzing the stability of structures, and understanding the behavior of fluids and gases. They are also used in everyday tasks such as lifting objects, driving a car, or throwing a ball.