Proving Vector Space Subspace Union: Tips and Assistance"

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in vector spaces and the need to prove that if W1 and W2 are subspaces of a vector space V and their union is also a subspace, then one of the subspaces must be contained in the other. The suggestion is to prove the contrapositive, that if neither W1 nor W2 is contained in the other, then their union cannot be a subspace. The conversation also mentions a request for information on a forum discussing applied maths.
ambuj123
Hello

Well i hv just started vector spaces and well am finding difficulty in proving this hoffman and kunze problem could some 1 help me :(

Question : W1 and W2 be sub-spaces of vector space V such that set-theoritic union of W1 and W2 is also a Subspace . Proove that one of the subspace Wi is contained in other ?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
so you have that W_1, W_2 are subspaces

you need to show that if W_1 U W_2 is a subspace then W_1 is contained in W_2, or W_2 is contained in W_1

the contrapositive is easier to prove, you should show that
if W_1 is not contained in W_2 and W_2 is not contained in W_1, then W_1 U W_2 is not a subspace
hint: W_1 U W_2 won't be closed under addition, show this and you are done

i.e. use contradiction.

Hey thanks was able to do the proof by proving the contradicton

Where is Applied maths

Please I want to know if there is a forum that is talking about applied maths ..

If there. u can send me an e-mail at>>> ( ahmedtomyus@yahoo.com )

What do you mean by "applied maths"?

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and two operations, vector addition and scalar multiplication, that satisfy a set of axioms. These axioms include closure, commutativity, associativity, identity element, and inverse element.

What is a proof in vector space?

A proof in vector space involves using mathematical reasoning and the axioms of vector spaces to demonstrate that a given statement or theorem is true. This typically involves breaking down the statement into smaller, more manageable steps and using logical arguments to show that each step is valid.

What are the common challenges in proving vector space theorems?

Some common challenges in proving vector space theorems include understanding and correctly applying the axioms, manipulating and simplifying vector expressions, and identifying relevant properties and relationships among vectors.

What are some tips for writing a clear and concise proof for a vector space theorem?

Some tips for writing a clear and concise proof for a vector space theorem include using precise and concise language, clearly defining all variables and terms, providing explanations and justifications for each step, and organizing the proof in a logical and coherent manner.

Are there any resources available for help with vector space proofs?

Yes, there are many resources available for help with vector space proofs, including textbooks, online tutorials and courses, and peer-reviewed journals. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a mathematics professor or tutor for specific questions or difficulties.