Help needed, no calculations! just theory! light and waves

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am having trouble explaining this picture and i am hoping someone online could answer it.

I took a picture in a computer lab of 2 monitors, you can see the flurescent tube lightbulb reflection on both screens. the monitors are off.(they are the exact same brand no difference between them etc...)

1 monitor's reflection of the bulb and light was purple while the other one was white-ish(slightly blue)

can anyone tell me why, (is it caused by dispersion, polarization etc...) the monitors are at a different angle

thank you for your help.

i just joined this forum and sorry if i posted this in the wrong category or something

EDIT: I thought more about this and could there be a possibility it is a thin film interference pattern. but what i don't understand is why its only happening to 1 monitor and not both if its a thin film interference...

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Two things I first think of:

Could be anisotropic dispersion in the monitor coating material (might be designed that way for various viewing angles??)

Manufacturing defects, only a small difference in thickness is needed for different interferences for visible light wavelengths.

What happens if the monitors are at the same angle? and do they both vary the same when you change the angle?

Are they at same height?

Try placing them at same position and at same angle one by one

They look at them from same distance