Help needed, no calculations just theory light and waves

In summary, the person is having trouble explaining a picture they took in a computer lab of two monitors with the fluorescent tube lightbulb reflection visible on both screens. One monitor's reflection appears to be purple while the other is white-ish, and the person is wondering why this is the case. They suggest possible explanations such as dispersion, polarization, or thin film interference patterns. They also mention the possibility of anisotropic dispersion in the monitor coating or manufacturing defects. They ask for help in understanding why only one monitor is affected and if there is a difference when the monitors are at the same angle or height.
mousemouse123
I am having trouble explaining this picture and i am hoping someone online could answer it.

I took a picture in a computer lab of 2 monitors, you can see the flurescent tube lightbulb reflection on both screens. the monitors are off.(they are the exact same brand no difference between them etc...)

1 monitor's reflection of the bulb and light was purple while the other one was white-ish(slightly blue)

can anyone tell me why, (is it caused by dispersion, polarization etc...) the monitors are at a different angle

thank you for your help. i just joined this forum and sorry if i posted this in the wrong category or something

EDIT: I thought more about this and could there be a possibility it is a thin film interference pattern. but what i don't understand is why its only happening to 1 monitor and not both if its a thin film interference...

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Two things I first think of:

Could be anisotropic dispersion in the monitor coating material (might be designed that way for various viewing angles??)

Manufacturing defects, only a small difference in thickness is needed for different interferences for visible light wavelengths.

What happens if the monitors are at the same angle? and do they both vary the same when you change the angle?

Are they at same height?

Try placing them at same position and at same angle one by one

They look at them from same distance

1. What is the nature of light and waves?

Light and waves are both forms of electromagnetic radiation that can travel through space. Light is a type of wave that can be seen by our eyes, while other types of waves, such as radio waves and microwaves, are invisible to the human eye.

2. How do light and waves interact with matter?

When light and waves come into contact with matter, they can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted. The specific interaction depends on the properties of the material, such as its composition and structure.

3. What is the wave-particle duality of light?

The wave-particle duality is a concept in quantum mechanics that states that light can behave as both a wave and a particle. This means that light can have properties of both a wave, such as wavelength and frequency, and a particle, such as energy and momentum.

4. How do light and waves travel through different mediums?

The speed of light and waves can vary depending on the medium they are traveling through. For example, light travels faster through air than through water. This is because the properties of the medium, such as density and temperature, can affect the speed at which the wave travels.

5. What practical applications do light and waves have?

Light and waves have a wide range of practical applications, including communication technology, medical imaging, and energy production. They are also used in everyday devices such as cell phones, microwave ovens, and X-ray machines.