Help on force, work, velocity and friction?

In summary: Oh ok :) well they were asking for the work done...oh and correction. The answer sheet says 900J. But it's still different than my result (900kJ). And I'm still stuck with no clue. :(
Tuvshee

Homework Statement

It says: A car moves at a constant speed of 5.0ms-1 along a 6.0km road against frictional force of 150N per meter. How much work has to be done by the car to maintain its constant speed?

Homework Equations

W = F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just did 150N * 6000m = 900000J = 900kJ

But what about the 5ms-1? Is that important? I'm guessing it is since it is mentioned, but I don't know how to apply it. And the answer sheet says 9000kJ (and not 900kJ). Please help me? I'm confused, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tuvshee said:

Homework Statement

It says: A car moves at a constant speed of 5.0ms-1 along a 6.0km road against frictional force of 150N per meter. How much work has to be done by the car to maintain its constant speed?

Homework Equations

W = F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

So I just did 150N * 6000m = 900000J = 900kJ

But what about the 5ms-1? Is that important? I'm guessing it is since it is mentioned, but I don't know how to apply it. And the answer sheet says 9000kJ (and not 900kJ). Please help me? I'm confused, thank you.

The frictional force is 150 N/m so if you multiply that by the 6000 m you will get the frictional force experienced throughout the entire 6000 m. In order to maintain the 5 m/s you'd need to get rate of work that needs to be done to overcome the frictional force.

rock.freak667 said:
The frictional force is 150 N/m so if you multiply that by the 6000 m you will get the frictional force experienced throughout the entire 6000 m. In order to maintain the 5 m/s you'd need to get rate of work that needs to be done to overcome the frictional force.

Ok I get that. But if the unit of frictional force is N/m, then it's not a force anymore, is it? Because unit for force is N and not N/m. Anyways: force would be:
150N/m * 6000m = 900000N.

v = 5m/s
N = 900000N

Then? Which formula should I use?

Have you tried to approach the problem using power?
Whenever I see velocity mentioned, I think of power.

Tuvshee said:
Ok I get that. But if the unit of frictional force is N/m, then it's not a force anymore, is it? Because unit for force is N and not N/m. Anyways: force would be:
150N/m * 6000m = 900000N.

v = 5m/s
N = 900000N

Then? Which formula should I use?

They didn't give you the force for the entire length, they just gave you the force per unit length, so it is still a force just defined per unit length.

Normally, I'd think they were asking for power rather than the work done.

rock.freak667 said:
They didn't give you the force for the entire length, they just gave you the force per unit length, so it is still a force just defined per unit length.

Normally, I'd think they were asking for power rather than the work done.

Oh ok :) well they were asking for the work done...oh and correction. The answer sheet says 900J. But it's still different than my result (900kJ). And I'm still stuck with no clue. :( And I don't think power is involved, because we haven't covered the topic yet.

1. What is the relationship between force and work?

The relationship between force and work is that work is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied. In other words, work is the product of force and displacement.

2. How is velocity related to force?

Velocity is related to force through Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration and resulting change in velocity.

3. What is friction and how does it affect motion?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two objects that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities in the surfaces of the objects. Friction can either slow down or prevent motion, and it can also cause objects to heat up due to the energy lost during the interaction.

4. How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Another way to reduce friction is by using smoother surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight of an object can also decrease the amount of friction acting on it.

5. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that must be overcome in order to set an object in motion, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already in motion. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction, as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance of an object at rest.