1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on force, work, velocity and friction?

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It says: A car moves at a constant speed of 5.0ms-1 along a 6.0km road against frictional force of 150N per meter. How much work has to be done by the car to maintain its constant speed?

2. Relevant equations
    W = F*d

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I just did 150N * 6000m = 900000J = 900kJ

But what about the 5ms-1? Is that important? I'm guessing it is since it is mentioned, but I don't know how to apply it. And the answer sheet says 9000kJ (and not 900kJ). Please help me? I'm confused, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The frictional force is 150 N/m so if you multiply that by the 6000 m you will get the frictional force experienced throughout the entire 6000 m. In order to maintain the 5 m/s you'd need to get rate of work that needs to be done to overcome the frictional force.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3
    Ok I get that. But if the unit of frictional force is N/m, then it's not a force anymore, is it? Because unit for force is N and not N/m. Anyways: force would be:
    150N/m * 6000m = 900000N.

v = 5m/s
    N = 900000N

Then? Which formula should I use?

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4
    Have you tried to approach the problem using power?
    Whenever I see velocity mentioned, I think of power.

6. Oct 8, 2011 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

They didn't give you the force for the entire length, they just gave you the force per unit length, so it is still a force just defined per unit length.

Normally, I'd think they were asking for power rather than the work done.

7. Oct 9, 2011 #6
    Oh ok :) well they were asking for the work done...oh and correction. The answer sheet says 900J. But it's still different than my result (900kJ). And I'm still stuck with no clue. :( And I don't think power is involved, because we haven't covered the topic yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook