Calculating Flowerpot Height: A Step-by-Step Guide | Freefall Problem Help

• Thread starter teknodude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freefall
In summary, the drowsy cat's flowerpot was in view for a total of 0.61 seconds as it sailed up and down past an open window with a height of 2.45 meters. By calculating the initial velocity and solving for the time when the pot's velocity is zero, it was determined that the pot went 0.049 meters above the window top. However, when redoing a similar problem in the textbook with different values, the correct answer of 2.34 meters was obtained by making sure to use the correct time given.
teknodude
A drowsy cat spots a flowerpot that sails first up and then down past an open window. The pot was in view for a total of 0.61 seconds, and the top-to-bottom height of the window is 2.45 meters. How high above the window top did the flowerpot go?

I first tried to calculate the initial velocity by assuming the initial position to be zero and the 2.45 for the max. Using formula y=-1/2gt^2 + v(t) +Yinitial
2.45 = -1/2g(0.61)^2 + V(0.61) o
intial velocity=7.00 m/s

velocity should equal zero, that's when the flowerpot reached its highest point. Then solving for time when the pots velocity is zero, will be give enough info to calculate the height above the window the pot traveled. Using equation v=-gt+vintial 0= -gt + 7.00 t= 0.714s

Plugging back into the first used equation
y= -4.9(0.714)^2 +7.00(0.714) y= 2.50m subtracting from 2.45m = 0.049m

So the flowerpot went 0.049m above the window?

I enter my homework answers on this site called webassign. My first answer was incorrect and another wrong answer will start deducting points...

I am really confused because my textbook had the same Homework problem, however the values were different. height was 2.00m, time= 0.50s. I did the same procedure as stated above on the problem in my text, but i could Not get close to the answer of 2.34m from the solution in the back of the book.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
teknodude said:
A drowsy cat spots a flowerpot that sails first up and then down past an open window. The pot was in view for a total of 0.61 seconds, and the top-to-bottom height of the window is 2.45 meters. How high above the window top did the flowerpot go?
Note that it gives total time in view. Each pass is only half that time.

I first tried to calculate the initial velocity by assuming the initial position to be zero and the 2.45 for the max. Using formula y=-1/2gt^2 + v(t) +Yinitial
2.45 = -1/2g(0.61)^2 + V(0.61) o
intial velocity=7.00 m/s
Nothing wrong with your thinking, but you have the wrong time. Do it over.
I am really confused because my textbook had the same Homework problem, however the values were different. height was 2.00m, time= 0.50s. I did the same procedure as stated above on the problem in my text, but i could Not get close to the answer of 2.34m from the solution in the back of the book.
The book's answer is correct. So you know that you are doing something wrong! Probably the same error. Redo the textbook problem and make sure you get it right before redoing your homework.

Thanks Doc Al, I overlooked the fact that the time given was total time. I redid the problem in the textbook and got 2.45m as my answer. :biggrin:

1. What is a freefall problem?

A freefall problem is a physics problem that involves objects falling under the influence of gravity without any other forces acting on them. This type of problem is commonly used to calculate the velocity, acceleration, and displacement of an object as it falls.

2. How do I solve a freefall problem?

To solve a freefall problem, you will need to use the equations of motion, which include the equations for velocity, acceleration, and displacement. You will also need to know the initial conditions, such as the initial velocity and starting height of the object, and the value of acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the value of acceleration due to gravity?

The value of acceleration due to gravity is approximately 9.8 m/s² on Earth. This means that an object in freefall will accelerate at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared towards the ground.

4. Can I use the equations of motion to solve any freefall problem?

Yes, the equations of motion can be used to solve any freefall problem as long as you have the necessary information, such as initial conditions and the value of acceleration due to gravity. These equations are also known as the kinematic equations.

5. Are there any special cases of freefall problems?

Yes, there are two special cases of freefall problems: freefall with an initial velocity and freefall with air resistance. In the first case, the object will have an initial velocity in addition to the acceleration due to gravity. In the second case, the object will experience air resistance, which will affect its acceleration and velocity.