Solving for Translational Speed of a Bowling Ball on a Vertical Rise

• Thread starter kpangrace
  • Start date
In summary, the bowling ball has a translational speed of 4.10 m/s at the bottom of a 0.76 m vertical rise, and it will have the same total energy (kinetic plus potential) at the top of the rise. After solving the equation for kinetic energy and potential energy, the translational speed at the top of the rise is 4.59 m/s when the mass is distributed uniformly.
kpangrace
Help! Only Have Until 11:30

A bowling ball encounters a 0.76 m vertical rise on the way back to the ball rack, as the drawing illustrates. Ignore frictional losses and assume that the mass of the ball is distributed uniformly. If the translational speed of the ball is 4.10 m/s at the bottom of the rise, find the translational speed at the top

aahh! finals are next week and i don't know what I'm doing

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a certain amount of kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp and no potential energy (using the bottom of the ramp as your base).

At the top of the ramp, you have both kinetic and potential energy, since you gained some height. Your total energy (kinetic plus potential) has to stay constant.

In other words, the kinetic energy at the bottom of the ramp is equal to the sum of the kinetic energy and potential energy at the top of the ramp.

And no, the mass won't matter. If you take your equation for kinetic energy and potential energy, you'll notice you can pull the mass outside your parenthesis via the distributive property. The mass will cancel out since it's outside the parenthesis on both sides of the equation.

ok i put (1/2)v^2= 1/2 v^2 + gh now is that right? i plug everything in and get .957... which doesn't show up right... you know what I'm doing wrong? thanks in advance

Yeah, you stopped too soon.

You solved [tex]1/2 v_i^2-gh[/tex]
The other side of your equation still has [tex]1/2 v_f^2[/tex]

You need to multiply your answer by 2 to get rid of the 1/2.
Then you need to take the square root to get rid of power of 2.

1. What is the meaning of "Help Only Have Until 11:30"?

The phrase "Help Only Have Until 11:30" likely refers to a deadline or time limit for completing a task or receiving assistance. It could also suggest a sense of urgency or importance in the situation.

2. Why do I only have until 11:30 to get help?

The reason for the specific time limit of 11:30 may vary. It could be due to a scheduled event or closing time, or it could be a personal deadline set by someone offering assistance.

3. What happens if I miss the deadline of 11:30?

If you miss the deadline of 11:30, you may not be able to receive the help or complete the task in question. It's important to communicate with the person or organization offering assistance to see if alternative arrangements can be made.

4. Is there any way to extend the deadline of 11:30?

This will depend on the specific situation and the person or organization offering assistance. It's important to communicate and explain the need for an extension, but ultimately the decision to extend the deadline will be up to them.

5. What should I do if I can't meet the deadline of 11:30?

If you are unable to meet the deadline of 11:30, it's important to communicate this as soon as possible with the person or organization offering assistance. They may be able to provide alternative options or resources to help you.