1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help: Physics Homework

1. Dec 28, 2005 #1
    A radioactive nucelus (cobalt - 60, has 27 p+'s and 33 e-'s) emits a photon (gamma ray) of wavelength 2.7 x 10^-13 m. Assuming the nucleus was intially at rest, what si its recoil velocity upon emitting this photon?

I have already figured out the momentum using this information. When I looked at the solution guide of how to find the mass, I am not sure why they use:

m = 60(1.67 x 10^-27 kg)?

to figure out the mass? I mean, I can understand the number 60, because that's the atomic mass, but why multiply it by the mass of a proton? Cobalt has two charges: 2+ and 3+. The most common one is 2+, so why multiply it by the mass of a proton, rather than an alpha particle (which has a 2+ charge)?

If someone can explain this, that would be greatly appreciated, because I am so confused. Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're talking about the mass of a cobalt nucleus and not the charge. Cobalt 60 has 60 nucleons and there is little difference between the masses of protons and neutrons.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?