Help With Physics Project Using 5lb Weight

In summary, the requirements for the trebuchet or spring loaded device include using a 5lb weight and at least two energy transfers. The scoring is based on total score from the best 2 out of 3 shots, with bonus points applied to the summed score. The projectile must be made of a foam-like material and fit within certain dimensions. The launcher must fit inside a 4-foot cube and only involve human intervention for loading and releasing the weight. The energy transfers can involve different mechanisms and do not have to directly contribute to the projectile's motion.
kewl_dude3
This is a description of my requirements. I'm thinking about a trebuchet or a spring loaded device, possibly even a pneumatic one. However I have to use the given 5lb weight, any ideas on how? And also I'm a little confused on the "energy transfers".

Help anyone? Thank you!

1. Each team will get 3 shots at the target, with the total score being calculated
from the best 2.
2. At least two energy transfers must be used. Dropping the weight onto a level
would be one transfer. Using energy of the falling weight to load a second
mechanism would be a second energy transfer and would receive a multiplier
of 2. Using that energy to load a third mechanism would get a multiplier of 3,
and so on.
3. Each method of energy transfer must be unique to qualify for a scoring
multiplier. (In other words, a repeating method would count as 1 transfer, no
matter how many times it occurs.)
4. Bonus points will be applied to the summed score prior to any applicable
multiplier.
5. If the launcher cannot be designed to hit the target at 30 feet, a penalty will be
applied for moving closer to the target using the following guide:

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the projectile? 30 feet is a fair distance for a light projectile, and you're not going to have much energy to spare to launch a heavy one; Every transformation of energy will exact a toll, as such conversions are never 100% efficient. What are the limitations on the size of your build?

Here are the requirements. For the projectile I was thinking maybe a tennis or some kind of rubber ball.

The Projectile
1. The projectile will be made of any available foam-like material with the largest
dimension of the projectile no more than 5 inches and the smallest dimension
of the projectile no less than 0.5 inch.
2. Consider a foam-like material any material that can be compressed and when
relaxed, returns to its natural position. (Toy ball, pool float, sponge, etc.)
3. The project guru must approve the material chosen.
The Launcher
1. The launcher may be constructed with any available materials, but must fit
inside an imaginary 4-foot cube (including any motion of the launcher).
2. The distance to the target will be measured from the front edge of the cube.
3. The launcher must be placed on the floor for operation.
4. The provided weight may be attached using any chosen method within the
cube.
5. The only human intervention allowed is the loading and release of the weight.
6. The launcher must involve at least two methods of energy transfer;
specifically, simply dropping the weight on one end of a lever to launch the
projectile would not be acceptable (i.e. a simple catapult is not acceptable).

The rules don't seem to be clear on whether or not the energy transfers have to be productive and contributing directly to the projectile's motion... In other words, suppose most of the brick's energy were used to stretch an elastic band that will eventually fire the projectile, but some of the energy were used to make a series of excursions through rotational, pneumatic, spring compression, etc., before finally pulling the trigger on the elastic. Would that count?

Um, I am not sure. Can you explain more about the excursions?
I'm kind of new at this, I've never taken a physics course before... :/
I know, sad. My high school never offered it, at least not with a decent teacher.

By "excursions" I mean that the impetus to pull the trigger on the firing mechanism is channeled through several mechanisms that store and release energy in different ways. Try to think of different ways of storing or moving mechanical energy around.

Yes, the energy transfers do not have to contribute directly to the motion of the projectile. So the example you listed above WOULD work.

1. What materials do I need for a physics project using a 5lb weight?

For this project, you will need a 5lb weight, a stopwatch or timer, a ruler or measuring tape, a flat surface to conduct your experiment on, and any other materials specific to your chosen project (e.g. a ramp, pulley system, etc.).

2. What are some ideas for a physics project using a 5lb weight?

There are many possibilities for a physics project using a 5lb weight. Some ideas include measuring the acceleration of the weight when dropped from different heights, using the weight to demonstrate Newton's laws of motion, or exploring the relationship between force and distance using the weight and a lever.

3. How do I calculate the force of the 5lb weight?

To calculate the force of the 5lb weight, you will need to use the formula F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass (in this case, 5lbs), and a is acceleration. You can measure the acceleration of the weight by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes to change that velocity.

4. Can I use a 5lb weight for a project on energy?

Yes, a 5lb weight can be used for a project on energy. You can explore potential and kinetic energy by dropping the weight from different heights and measuring the energy at each point, or you can use the weight to demonstrate the concept of work and power.

5. What are some safety precautions I should take when doing a physics project with a 5lb weight?

It is important to always follow safety precautions when conducting any experiment, especially when using weights. Make sure to wear appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses, and have a sturdy surface to conduct your experiment on. Also, be sure to use caution when handling the weight and do not perform any dangerous or risky experiments.