What Are the Top Unresolved Questions in Theoretical Physics Today?

In summary, the conversation is about a molecular biology student seeking help with their physics assignment on the top 5 unsolved problems in theoretical physics. They mention the string theory, super-symmetry, quantum chromodynamics, quantum gravity, and theory of everything as potential topics, but are unsure if they are on the right track. One person offers clarification that points 1, 2, 4, and 5 are all related to grand unification and suggests checking out a list of unsolved problems in physics for more ideas.
@220
Hello guys.
I am a molecular biology student and at my physics class I have an assignment which says "What are the top 5 unsolved problems at theoretical physics nowadays? "
I am thinking of including the;
*string theory,
*super-symmetry,
*quantum chromodynamics,
*quantum gravity,
*theory of everything.
Could you please help me, by telling me if i am at right way or suggest me to include other theories?
Thanks in advance! :smile:

Ps. Please forgive my poor English.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a huge expert but let me clarify a couple things for you. Your points 1,2,4,5 are all really the same thing in the sense that you are talking about grand unification (well not #2 strictly, but its related). Unifying quantum mechanics and general relativity is probably the #1 thing on your list, and like I said 1,2,4,5 are all directly related to that, so I don't think you get use use them more than once :). Also, #3, quantum chromodynamics is a very well established field, not sure I would really call it an unsolved problem in physics. My 2cents.

Edit: See this link for some helpful suggestions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsolved_problems_in_physics

Last edited:

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that focuses on developing mathematical models and theories to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It is concerned with understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

2. What are some examples of theoretical physics?

Examples of theoretical physics include quantum mechanics, relativity, string theory, and cosmology. These areas of study aim to understand the behavior of subatomic particles, the nature of space and time, and the origins and evolution of the universe.

3. What skills are needed to study theoretical physics?

To study theoretical physics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is also important to have critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think abstractly and visualize complex concepts.

4. What are some real-world applications of theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, technology, and medicine. For example, quantum mechanics is essential for understanding and developing technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. Relativity is crucial for GPS and satellite communication systems.

5. How can I learn more about theoretical physics?

There are many resources available to learn more about theoretical physics, including textbooks, online courses, and lectures from renowned physicists. It is also helpful to join a community of fellow physics enthusiasts to discuss and exchange ideas. Additionally, conducting independent research and experiments can deepen understanding of theoretical physics concepts.