Precalculus Help - Find f of g & g of f (x)

• Thread starter unknownuser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with their precalculus class and needing help with a specific problem involving composition and inverses of functions. They provide two functions, f(x) and g(x), and are unsure how to find [f of g] (x) and [g of f] (x). The student also asks for clarification on the notation "g(x)= x=6" and which of the three given options is correct. They are advised to post these types of questions in the appropriate forum for homework and coursework.
unknownuser
HELP! Precalculus

I just started my precalculus class and i can not understand what's going on and its makes me mad too. In our book we are on 1-2 Composition and Inverses of Functions :bugeye: :bugeye: like for this one problem:

Find [f of g] (x) and [g of f] (x).
1. f(x)= 1/2x-7
g(x)= x=6

please help because I don't understand...

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "g(x)= x=6"? And which of the following do you mean?

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2x} - 7[/tex]

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2x-7}[/tex]

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2}x - 7[/tex]

And in the future, please place threads like this in the "Precalculus Mathematics" forum of the "Homework & Coursework Questions" section.

1. What is the definition of f of g and g of f (x)?

F of g and g of f (x) are mathematical operations that involve two functions, f(x) and g(x). F of g (x) means that you substitute g(x) into the function f(x) and evaluate the resulting expression. G of f (x) means that you substitute f(x) into the function g(x) and evaluate the resulting expression.

2. How do you find the value of f of g and g of f (x)?

To find the value of f of g (x), you first evaluate g(x) and then substitute that value into f(x). To find the value of g of f (x), you first evaluate f(x) and then substitute that value into g(x).

3. What is the difference between f of g and g of f (x)?

The main difference between f of g and g of f (x) is the order in which the functions are substituted and evaluated. F of g (x) means that you substitute g(x) into f(x), while g of f (x) means that you substitute f(x) into g(x).

4. What are some common examples of f of g and g of f (x)?

Some common examples of f of g and g of f (x) include composite functions, such as (f o g)(x) = f(g(x)) and (g o f)(x) = g(f(x)). These operations are commonly used in calculus, algebra, and other areas of mathematics.

5. How can I use f of g and g of f (x) in practical applications?

F of g and g of f (x) have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. For example, in physics, these operations can be used to model the relationship between two changing quantities. In economics, they can be used to analyze the impact of one variable on another. In computer science, they can be used to represent complex algorithms and data structures.