Help requested on simple enzyme experiment

• Thread starter new&improovedfaisal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the researcher is looking to investigate how pH affects the reaction rate for enzyme/substrate activity. They plan to use catalase as the enzyme and measure the volume released to determine if pH affects the reaction.
new&improovedfaisal
Hello every 1
i'd like assistance regarding a simple enzyme experiment to see how Ph effects enzyme activity, does any 1 have a meathod which can help me carry out such an experiment. I'm going to use H202 as my substrate concentration. This experiment is going to be carried out in a simple lab so there's no need for complex apperatus. A few testubes will work fine.
The variables I'm keeping constant is
temperature & substrate concentration
your help would be appreciated
thank you

Biology news on Phys.org
What will you use as your source of enzyme? How do you plan to measure the reaction rate? I can tell from your description what your variable is, but can you state it so I'm sure you have the concepts right in your own mind? Also, state your hypothesis.

These are the questions you need to answer to start setting up the experiment.

I think it can be done, but it will be best if you work out planning it yourself, and we'll help jog your brain when you get stuck on part of the planning, or to help troubleshoot if it doesn't work the way you plan it.

new&improovedfaisal said:
Hello every 1
i'd like assistance regarding a simple enzyme experiment to see how Ph effects enzyme activity, does any 1 have a meathod which can help me carry out such an experiment. I'm going to use H202 as my substrate concentration. This experiment is going to be carried out in a simple lab so there's no need for complex apperatus. A few testubes will work fine.
The variables I'm keeping constant is
temperature & substrate concentration
your help would be appreciated
thank you

(Ph should be pH ... the negative log of H ions)

Please include controls wherein no enzyme is added. Concevably the pH itself (which is one of your variables) could affect substrate concentration.

well I'm investigating how ph affects Enzyme activity, The enzyme i'll b using is catalase, i'll be varying Ph all other factors such as temperature, substrate concentration, enzyme concentration will be kept the same through out the experiment.
From what iv read catalase acts on a substate known as H202 better known as hydrogen peroxide and breaks it down into h20+O2 i'll have to think of a way to meassure the amount of H20 +02 realeased could u please think of a technique that would help me?

new&improovedfaisal said:
well I'm investigating how ph affects Enzyme activity, The enzyme i'll b using is catalase, i'll be varying Ph all other factors such as temperature, substrate concentration, enzyme concentration will be kept the same through out the experiment.
From what iv read catalase acts on a substate known as H202 better known as hydrogen peroxide and breaks it down into h20+O2 i'll have to think of a way to meassure the amount of H20 +02 realeased could u please think of a technique that would help me?

Since oxygen is a gas, you would have to capture it to measure it (not let it just escape out the top of your tube). You might have to tinker a bit to find out what works best for the volume you're producing, but you could measure the volume released (I'm assuming this is for a school project, so you don't need to make this extremely accurate).

Now you still need to state your hypothesis. How do you expect pH to affect the reaction for the enzyme/substrate you're using?

If the oxygen is being created along with water in some sort of enzyme buffer solution, could you simply measure an increase (or decrease) in dissolved oxygen? DO meters were relatively common in the labs I worked through in high school and college, perhaps they would be sensitive enough?

OK, a quick search revealed that http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/jsac/analsci/pdfs/a20_0471.pdf 2. If that first link doesn't work for you, let me know and I can give you a summary.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of the simple enzyme experiment?

The purpose of the simple enzyme experiment is to demonstrate the role of enzymes in catalyzing biochemical reactions. Enzymes are special proteins that speed up the rate of chemical reactions in living organisms.

2. What materials are needed for the simple enzyme experiment?

The materials needed for the simple enzyme experiment include a source of enzymes (such as potato or liver), a substrate (such as hydrogen peroxide), a measuring cylinder or pipette, and a test tube or beaker. Optional materials may include a thermometer and pH indicator.

3. How do I set up the simple enzyme experiment?

To set up the simple enzyme experiment, first prepare your materials and label your test tube or beaker. Then, add a measured amount of substrate to the container. Next, add the enzyme source and start a timer. Observe and record any changes in the reaction over time.

4. What variables can be changed in the simple enzyme experiment?

The variables that can be changed in the simple enzyme experiment include the type and amount of enzyme used, the type and concentration of substrate, the temperature and pH of the reaction, and the presence of any inhibitors or activators.

5. What are some potential safety considerations for the simple enzyme experiment?

Some potential safety considerations for the simple enzyme experiment include handling sharp objects and chemicals with care, washing hands after handling any materials, and properly disposing of all materials after the experiment. It is also important to follow any specific safety guidelines provided by the instructor or lab manual.