Help Simplifying Double Integral Question

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying a double integral question. After discussing the issue with the square roots, the conversation moves on to finding the region of integration for another integral. The solution involves using a hyperbolic substitution and a trig substitution.
elle
Simplifying help please!

Hi, I was given a double integral question and I managed to do the x integration. After placing the limits I get the following:

∫{ (2y²)(√2+y²) - (2y²)(√2y²) } dy

I know the integrand can be simplified but I don't have a clue. Can anyone help? :confused: Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the first square root supposed to cover both 2 and y^2 or is it the square root of 2, plus y^2 (outside the root)?

oops sorry! Yes the square root is suppose to cover all of 2+y²

In that case I'm guessing it's the same for the second square root term..
So you have:
∫{ (2y²)√(2+y²) - (2y²)√(2y²) } dy
Splitting it up into two integrals...
∫(2y²)√(2+y²) dy - ∫(2y²)√(2y²) dy
On the right side, you can pull the y^2 out of the square root:
∫(2y²)√(2+y²) dy - ∫(2y²)y√(2) dy
And then:
∫(2y²)√(2+y²) dy - 2√2 ∫y^3 dy
= ∫(2y²)√(2+y²) dy - (y^4)/(√2) + C
Now, for the left integral it'll take a bit more work... let's try a hyperbolic substitution:
sinh^2 x - cosh^2 x = 1
sinh^2 x = 1 + cosh^2 x
So, let's say y = √2 * cosh x
dy = √2 * sinh x dx; from there:
∫(2y²)√(2+y²) dy - (y^4)/(√2) + C
= ∫(2(2cosh²x))√(2)*sinh x * √2 sinh x dx - (y^4)/(√2) + C
= 8∫cosh² x sinh² x dx - (y^4)/(√2) + C
And you can proceed from there.. :\ Or you could have used a trig substitution...

ooo ok thanks!

I've also got another quick question. I've been asked to draw the region of integration for the following integral. I'm not sure if I've drawn it right :confused: can someone help? thank you!

http://tinypic.com/i53khk.jpg"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. It can be thought of as finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

Why do we need to simplify double integrals?

Simplifying double integrals can make them easier to solve and can also help us to understand the relationship between the function and the region over which it is being integrated.

How do I simplify a double integral?

To simplify a double integral, you can use techniques such as changing the order of integration, using symmetry, or making appropriate substitutions. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic integration rules and properties.

What are some common mistakes when simplifying double integrals?

Some common mistakes when simplifying double integrals include forgetting to change the limits of integration when changing the order of integration, not using the correct substitution, or making a calculation error during the simplification process. It is important to double check your work and be careful with each step.

Why is it important to simplify double integrals?

Simplifying double integrals allows us to solve them more easily and efficiently. It also helps us to gain a deeper understanding of the function being integrated and the region over which it is being integrated. This simplification process can also be applied to more complex integrals, making it an important skill for any scientist working with multivariable functions.