Help Solve Part (b) of M1 Question | Cathy

In summary, Cathy is seeking help with part (b) of a question involving a boy walking at a constant speed and his sister accelerating from rest to catch up with him. She has already completed part (a) and is asking for assistance with calculating the time it takes for the girl to catch up to her brother. The hint given is to consider the area of the speed-time graph and use the fact that the boy's area will be 1.8*t.
CathyLou
Hi.

Could someone please help me to do part (b) of the following question? I would really appreciate any help as I am really stuck.

A boy is walking at a constant speed of 1.8 m/s along a straight road. He passes a telephone booth where his sister is making a telephone call. His sister takes 30 s to complete the call and then sets off in pursuit of the boy. She accelerates uniformly from rest at 3 m/s^2 until she is running at a speed of 9 m/s. She maintains this constant speed until she reaches her brother.

(a) On the same diagram sketch the speed-time graphs for the boy and his sister.

I did this part.

(b) Calculate the time taken by the girl to reach her brother.

Thank you.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far?

I'll give you a hint: what does the area of the speed-time graph represent?

malawi_glenn said:
What have you tried so far?

I'll give you a hint: what does the area of the speed-time graph represent?

Thanks for replying.

It represents the distance travelled.

Cathy

So what is meant by "girl to reach her brother" ?
Well it means that they have traveled same distance, i.e find the value of time t, when the area of girl = area of boy. Do you know how to go from lines on a graph to functions and do integration?

I have no time to draw pictures and so on, I am quite sure that you know how this works.

If not, just use the fact that the boy will have area: 1.8*t and the find the time for the girl to reach 9 m/s with the acceleration given and then just continue.

malawi_glenn said:
So what is meant by "girl to reach her brother" ?
Well it means that they have traveled same distance, i.e find the value of time t, when the area of girl = area of boy. Do you know how to go from lines on a graph to functions and do integration?

I have no time to draw pictures and so on, I am quite sure that you know how this works.

If not, just use the fact that the boy will have area: 1.8*t and the find the time for the girl to reach 9 m/s with the acceleration given and then just continue.

Thanks so much for your help!

Cathy

1. What is the specific problem in Part (b) of M1 Question?

The specific problem in Part (b) of M1 Question is to help Cathy solve a certain task or question. The details of the task or question are not specified, so it is up to the scientist to gather more information and analyze the problem in order to provide a solution.

2. What information is needed to solve Part (b) of M1 Question?

In order to solve Part (b) of M1 Question, more information about the task or question is needed. This could include any given data, variables, or constraints that may affect the solution. It may also be helpful to understand the context or purpose of the task or question.

3. How can I approach solving Part (b) of M1 Question?

One approach to solving Part (b) of M1 Question is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. This could involve identifying the given information, determining what needs to be solved, and using relevant scientific knowledge and methods to find a solution. It may also be helpful to discuss the problem with others or conduct research on similar problems.

4. What scientific knowledge or skills are needed to solve Part (b) of M1 Question?

Solving Part (b) of M1 Question may require a combination of scientific knowledge and skills, depending on the specific problem. This could include critical thinking, problem-solving, experimental design, data analysis, and understanding of relevant scientific principles and theories. It may also require expertise in a specific scientific field or subject area.

5. Can I collaborate with others to solve Part (b) of M1 Question?

Yes, collaboration with others can be beneficial when solving Part (b) of M1 Question. This could involve discussing the problem with colleagues, seeking advice or feedback from experts in the field, or working in a team to find a solution. Collaboration can bring different perspectives and ideas to the problem-solving process, leading to a more comprehensive solution.