Help solving by using trig identity

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of x in the equation sinx cos2x = 1, given that x is greater than or equal to 0 and less than 2pi. The solution involves using trigonometric identities and simplifying the equation to a cubic function in sinx, which can then be rearranged and solved to obtain the value of x.
MacFanBoy

Homework Statement

sinx cos2x=1

x is greater than or equal to 0 and less than 2pi

Homework Equations

What I used:
1-2sin2x
cos2x-sin2x

but there might be one that I didn't and should have...

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I have substituted to the point that I can, I feel pretty bad since this is a review..

sinx cos2x=1

sinx (1-2sin2x)=1

basically didn't know where to go from there..

and

sin cosx=1
sinx (cos2x-sin2x)=1
sinx(cos2x)-sin3x=1
sinx(1-sin2x)-sin3x=1

sinx-sin3x-sin3x=1

And that one stopped there...
we are supposed to only use trigonometric identities, nothing more nothing less; and once again I don't understand how I can not get this since it is a review..

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sinx-sin3x-sin3x=1
Yes can you see how this is a cubic function in sinx?
Maybe if you rearranged it, it will become more clear.

sinx (1-sin2x)=1

try multiplying out the brackets and rearranging the equation so that its =0 from there you should get a quadratic equation.

Well, you get a cubic equation as Mentallic said. Fortunately one that is easy to solve.

Haha, wow surprised I didn't see that one, thanks guys!

1. How do I know when to use a trig identity to solve a problem?

Trig identities are useful when you have an equation or expression involving trigonometric functions and you want to simplify or solve it. You can identify when to use a trig identity by looking for familiar patterns or relationships between the trig functions.

2. What is the difference between a trig identity and a trig equation?

A trig identity is an equation that is always true, while a trig equation is an equation that may or may not be true for certain values of the variables. Trig identities are used to manipulate and simplify expressions, while trig equations are used to solve for specific values.

3. How do I prove a trig identity?

To prove a trig identity, you need to manipulate one side of the equation until it is equivalent to the other side. This can be done by using algebraic and trigonometric properties and rules, such as the Pythagorean identities and sum and difference formulas. You can also use substitution and simplification to show that the two sides are equal.

4. Are there any tips for remembering trig identities?

One tip for remembering trig identities is to practice using them frequently. You can also make use of visual aids, such as unit circles and trigonometric graphs, to help you understand the relationships between the functions. Another helpful tip is to break down the identities into smaller parts and understand how they are related to each other.

5. Can I use trig identities to solve real-world problems?

Yes, trig identities can be applied to real-world problems involving angles and measurements. For example, they can be used in navigation and surveying to calculate distances and angles, in physics to analyze motion and forces, and in engineering to design structures and machines. Understanding and using trig identities can greatly enhance problem-solving abilities in many fields.