Help Solving Percent Molarity Problem

In summary, percent molarity is a measure of concentration that expresses the percentage of solute per volume of solution. To convert from percent molarity to moles, you can multiply the percent molarity by the volume of the solution and divide by 100. Percent molarity cannot be negative as it represents the amount of solute per positive volume of solution. The main difference between percent molarity and molarity is the units in which they are expressed. To solve a percent molarity problem, gather all necessary information and use the formula Molarity = (mass or moles of solute / molar mass of solute) / volume of solution.
depeche
I have to prepare the following solution:

200 mL of 2.5% Glutaraldehyde from 25% stock Glutaraldehyde in 0.2M Sodium Cacodylate Buffer

So far I know:

Molecular weight of Glutaraldehyde: 100g/mol and Sodium Cacodylate:160g/mol

Assuming the density is 1 of Glutaldehyde, then 25%(1000g)=250g
250g/molecular weight(100g/mol)= 2.5mol/L-->2.5M

After this I have no clue which way to go. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use M1V1=M2V2. Don't need to go back to moles, percentages are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is percent molarity?

Percent molarity is a way to express the concentration of a solution in terms of the percentage of solute (substance being dissolved) per volume of solution. It is calculated by dividing the moles of solute by the volume of solution and multiplying by 100.

How do I convert from percent molarity to moles?

To convert from percent molarity to moles, you first need to know the volume of the solution and the molar mass of the solute. Multiply the percent molarity by the volume of the solution, then divide by 100 to get the number of moles of solute. Alternatively, you can also use the formula Molarity = moles of solute / liters of solution to calculate the number of moles.

Can percent molarity be negative?

No, percent molarity cannot be negative. It is a measure of concentration and represents the amount of solute per volume of solution. Since both the amount of solute and volume are always positive, the percent molarity will also be positive.

What is the difference between percent molarity and molarity?

The main difference between percent molarity and molarity is the units in which they are expressed. Percent molarity is expressed as a percentage, while molarity is expressed as moles per liter (M). In addition, percent molarity takes into account the volume of the solution, while molarity does not.

How do I solve a percent molarity problem?

To solve a percent molarity problem, you first need to gather all the necessary information such as the volume of the solution, the mass or moles of the solute, and the molar mass of the solute. Then, use the formula Molarity = (mass or moles of solute / molar mass of solute) / volume of solution and convert the result to a percentage by multiplying by 100.