Help understanding a group theory proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the statement "if the identity permutation of {1,2...n} is represented by m transpositions, then m is even." The conversation begins with the initial understanding of the identity permutation and its representation through transpositions. It then moves on to discussing the proof by induction, starting with the n=2 case and then the n=3 case. The conversation also touches on the use of induction as a proof method and the need to write the proof in a formal way. Finally, the conversation concludes with a suggestion to try more examples to understand how the induction step works.
11ee1
iam currently studying undergraduate abstract algebra and i have reached to the permutation group topic i understand every thing till now but iam having trouble understanding the proof of

"IF the identity permutation I of {1,2...n} is represented by m transpositions then m is even"

I understand that the identity permutation should fix all the number that u put in it so I(1)=1 I(2)=2 etc..

so the proof is by induction it start with n=2 so I is represented by (12)(12)(12)...

in which it is easy to see that m should be even since I keeps switching 1with 2 till they are in the same position they were in the beginning and (12) fixes all other numbers

but then how do u do the induction step??

I don't even understand how it would work for n=3 :( everything was flowing well but then iam stuck with this...if anyone can help me it would be really appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will be easier to do the n=3 case first, and then prove that for all integers p≥2, if the statement holds for n=p, then it holds for n=p+2.

For the n=3 case, prove that if f is the composition of two swaps, then either f=I or f(k)≠k for all k in {1,2,3}.

Last edited:
thnx fredrik for the reply..

i have though about it again before i read ur reply and it seems i proved without the need for induction iam still having trouble using induction as a proof method sadly :(

anyways i though for n=2 there are 2 numbers that the Identity permutation should fix or else it wouldn't be Identity ,in this case it is obvious that it must have even numbers of swaps to cancel each swap effect...

for n=3 there are 3 numbers that I(n) should fix,

for 1 it must have even number of swaps of the form (1n) to keep 1 in its place or have "another swap" that doesn't contain 1 in the first place so it fix it automatically..

but the swap that doesn't contain 1 would swap something else 2 or 3 in this case so we must have even number of this "other swap" to cancel its effect on 2 or 3

and so they must be even

and so for a composition of transpositions to work as an identity permutation and fix all numbers then they must be even in number..since for every number there will be even swaps to fix that number...Now the problem is HOW DO I WRITE THIS IN A FORMAL WAY

and i don't understand how proving if f is the composition of two swaps, then either f=I or f(k)≠k would prove that the number of swaps must be even for I(n)

i understand its either that the two swaps are the same (12)(12),(13)(13),(23)(23) so f=I

or they are different (12)(23) in this case it doesn't fix 1 or 3 and iam guessing 2 as well

11ee1 said:
and i don't understand how proving if f is the composition of two swaps, then either f=I or f(k)≠k would prove that the number of swaps must be even for I(n)
Keep in mind that we're talking about the n=3 case here. A permutation of {1,2,3} can be thought of as a rearrangement of the members of the ordered triple (1,2,3). If you find all the possible rearrangements of (1,2,3) that are the result of two swaps, you will see that none of them is restored to (1,2,3) by a single swap, meaning that there's no composition of 3 swaps that's equal to the identity. That's at least a good start of the proof of the n=3 case.

ohh i see i might try that and see how would it change with n=4 i think by enough examples i would see how the induction step would work thnx

1. What is group theory and why is it important?

Group theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the properties and structures of groups, which are mathematical objects that follow a specific set of rules. It is important because it has applications in various areas of mathematics, physics, chemistry, and computer science.

2. How do I understand a proof in group theory?

Understanding a proof in group theory requires a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as abstract algebra, linear algebra, and number theory. It also involves familiarizing yourself with the specific definitions and theorems related to group theory and carefully reading and analyzing the steps of the proof.

3. What are some common strategies for approaching a group theory proof?

Some common strategies for approaching a group theory proof include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, using known theorems and definitions to guide your thinking, and considering different examples to gain insight into the problem.

4. How can I improve my understanding of group theory proofs?

To improve your understanding of group theory proofs, it is important to practice solving problems and proofs on your own. You can also read textbooks or attend lectures on group theory to gain a deeper understanding of the concepts and techniques involved.

5. Are there any online resources that can help me understand group theory proofs?

Yes, there are various online resources such as video lectures, practice problems, and interactive tutorials that can help you understand group theory proofs. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, Brilliant, and MIT OpenCourseWare.