How does 12 + j16 become 20 ∠53.1° in impedance calculations?

• MHB
  • Thread starter portcharlotte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the conversion from cartesian representation to polar representation for an impedance value of -Z. The conversion was explained using the equations r=sqrt(x^2+y^2) and theta=arctan(y/x), with the exception for x<=0. This was applied to the specific values of x=12 and y=16, resulting in a polar representation of 20 ∠53.1°.
portcharlotte
Good morning,

I was reviewing a problem in my book regarding Impedance. I have a question. For the impedance -Z they got 20 ∠53.1° degrees How did they go from 12 + j16 to 20 ∠53.1°. Thanks

View attachment 8827

Attachments

• 12.11 Text Book Need Help.JPG
    12.11 Text Book Need Help.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 59
Mathematics news on Phys.org
portcharlotte said:
Good morning,

I was reviewing a problem in my book regarding Impedance. I have a question. For the impedance -Z they got 20 ∠53.1° degrees How did they go from 12 + j16 to 20 ∠53.1°. Thanks

Hi portcharlotte, welcome to MHB! ;)

Every imaginary number has a cartesian representation and a polar representation.
The relation between $x+jy$ and $r∠\theta$ is given by $r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$ and $\theta=\arctan\frac yx$.
That is, unless $x\le 0$ in which case we have to select the appropriate $\theta$ in the unit circle, as it is out of range of $\arctan$.

In this case we have $x=12$ and $y=16$. Therefore $r=\sqrt{12^2+16^2}=20$ and $\theta=\arctan\frac{16}{12}\approx 53.1°$

Thank you so much Professor.

What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition that an electrical circuit presents to the flow of alternating current (AC). It is a combination of resistance, inductance, and capacitance in a circuit.

How is impedance different from resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of direct current (DC) in a circuit, while impedance takes into account the effects of both resistance and reactance (inductance and capacitance) in an AC circuit.

What is the unit of measurement for impedance?

The unit of measurement for impedance is ohms (Ω).

What factors affect impedance?

The main factors that affect impedance are the frequency of the AC signal, the resistance of the circuit, and the inductance and capacitance of the circuit components.

Why is understanding impedance important?

Understanding impedance is important in designing and analyzing electrical circuits, as it helps to determine the behavior of the circuit and ensure optimal performance. It is also crucial in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues in electronic devices.