Energy Lost to Friction in Spool Experiment

• Thread starter sullyjared
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the problem involves a spool of thin wire with given dimensions and moment of inertia, being pulled down by a mass. The goal is to calculate the energy lost to friction during the fall. The initial attempts involved neglecting the spool or trying to calculate its kinetic energy without knowing its mass. Eventually, it was realized that the given moment of inertia was about the center of mass, which can be used to calculate the moment of inertia about any other axis. The final solution involved calculating the potential energy of the mass, the kinetic energy of the falling mass, and the rotational kinetic energy of the spool, and then equating it to the total energy lost to friction. The solution also involved using the formula for angular velocity and
sullyjared
[SOLVED] help! where can i find mass?

Homework Statement

A spool of thin wire (with inner radius R=0.50m outer radius R=o.65m, and a moment of inertia I_cm=0.8957 kg*m^2) pivots on a shaft. The wire is pulled down by a mass M=1.5 kg. After falling a distance D=0.51m, starting from rest, the mass has a speed of v=64.5 cm/s. Calculate the energy lost to friction during that time.

Homework Equations

KE=.5Iw^2
KE=.5mv^2
v=rw
I=.5M(r^2+R^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made two attempted solutions for this problem. The first was simple. I neglected the spool all together. Then I solved for the potential energy of the mass pulling down and the kinetic energy of this mass, and found the difference... that didn't work.
My second attempt was to calculate the kinetic energy of the spool with KE=.5Iw^2 and compare it to the Kinetic energy of the mass pulling down but to solve for the spools kinetic energy i need the moment of inertia about the axis of rotation, which means i need the mass of the spool, which i don't have... any suggestions?

Attachments

• prob22_pulleyD.gif
    prob22_pulleyD.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You were given the moment of inertia in the question.

yeah, i was given the moment of inertia about the center of mass, not the moment of inertia about the axis of rotation. which is I= I_cm + mr^2.

If you are given the moment of inertia about the axis of rotation ..then you can calculate it about any axis.

that is true, but i am not given the MoI about the axis of rotation so then i am stuck.

Where do you think the axis of rotation is if it's not about the centre?

sorry... you all were right about the moment of inertia. when the axis of rotation is located on the center of mass then the moments of inertia are the same. i did finally figure this problem out and will post the method for others learning purposes.

D=given
M=given
g=given

First, you must calculate potential energy of the mass using PE=MgD. This should equal the kinetic energy of the falling mass (KE_m=1/2(M)(v^2) + the rotational kinetic energy of the spool (KE_s=1/2(I)(w^2) + the energy lost (to friction-x). Use w=v/r for angular velocity in the rotational kinetic energy.
finally, PE= KE_m + KE_s + x (where x is the only unknown and the variable asked for in the problem.

Thanks everyone for your help.

which r did you use?

1. How do I calculate mass?

Mass can be calculated by dividing an object's weight by the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for mass is: Mass = Weight / Acceleration due to Gravity.

2. Where can I find the mass of an object?

The mass of an object can be found by using a scale or balance to measure its weight. This weight can then be converted to mass using the formula: Mass = Weight / Acceleration due to Gravity.

3. What is the unit of measurement for mass?

The unit of measurement for mass is kilograms (kg). However, in some cases, it may also be measured in grams (g) or pounds (lbs).

4. Can I find the mass of an object using its volume?

No, mass and volume are two different measurements and cannot be used interchangeably. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while volume is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies.

5. How does mass differ from weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains the same regardless of location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.