Help with 3D Vector Non-Orthogonal Walls Problem

• Thread starter lordnitro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Vector
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with problem 1.38, which involves finding the diagonal length of a non-orthogonal wall using the Pythagorean theorem. The person understands how to get the 202 in the square root, but is confused about where the 168cos(theta) is coming from. The expert explains that it is most likely a result of using the Pythagorean theorem and subtracting the squared length of one wall from the squared diagonal length. They offer further assistance and encourage the person to ask any additional questions.
lordnitro
Hello everybody, so I've just joined, thought maybe you guys could help me out since I've been banging my head against my desk for a few days now. http://imgur.com/4FVpan3

(incase the inline image doesn't work: http://imgur.com/4FVpan3)

I'm stuck on problem 1.38. I know how to do it if the walls were orthogonal but since they aren't I'm stuck. I know how he's getting the 202 in the square root etc, but i have no idea where he's getting the 168cos(thetha) and subtracting it from. Can someone give me some tips about how to go about solving this problem? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! I understand your frustration with problem 1.38 and I'm happy to help. It looks like you're on the right track with understanding how to get the 202 in the square root. To answer your question about where the 168cos(theta) is coming from, it is most likely a result of using the Pythagorean theorem. Since the walls are not orthogonal, we can't simply use the length of the walls to find the diagonal. Instead, we have to use the Pythagorean theorem to find the diagonal length (represented by the 202 in the square root). This involves squaring the length of one wall and the height of the other wall, and then taking the square root of their sum. The 168cos(theta) is most likely the result of subtracting the squared length of one wall from the squared diagonal length, and then taking the square root. I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of the problem! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is a 3D vector non-orthogonal wall problem?

A 3D vector non-orthogonal wall problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the shortest distance between a point and a non-orthogonal (not at a right angle) wall in a three-dimensional space.

2. What are some real-world applications of 3D vector non-orthogonal wall problems?

Some common applications include architectural and engineering design, robotics and motion planning, and computer graphics and animation. For example, in architectural design, these problems can help determine the most efficient placement of walls and furniture in a room.

3. What are the steps to solving a 3D vector non-orthogonal wall problem?

The first step is to identify the position and orientation of the wall and the point in 3D space. Then, using vector equations and dot products, the shortest distance between the point and the wall can be calculated. Finally, the solution can be verified and refined as needed.

4. Are there any limitations to using 3D vector non-orthogonal wall problems?

While these problems can be useful in many applications, they do have some limitations. They may not be accurate in situations where walls are not perfectly straight, or when the point is located very close to the wall. Additionally, these problems can become more complex when dealing with multiple non-orthogonal walls.

5. How can 3D vector non-orthogonal wall problems be solved using computer software?

There are various software programs and libraries that offer solutions to 3D vector non-orthogonal wall problems, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python libraries. These programs often have built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for these types of problems, making it easier for users to solve them without having to manually calculate the solution.