Struggling with Solving a Diff Eq? Get Expert Help Here!

• Thread starter noranne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the problem is that the writer cannot solve a first order ode for u. They were given two unknowns (y(1) and y'(1)), and were able to solve for them. The final result checked out.
noranne
Never expected to be pleading for help so soon, and especially not on a differential equation, which I usually am good at. But for whatever reason, I cannot solve this problem:

y*d(y,x,2) + (d(y,x))^2 + 1 = 0

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ETA: I know I'm supposed to substitute u=d(y,x) and u*d(u,y)=d(y,x,2) but I can't get any farther than that.

[tex]
0 = y \frac {d^2y} {dx^2} + (\frac {dy} {dx})^2 + 1
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, yeah it's an ODE. I know the notation is a little weird but it's the easiest way for me to type it.

I think what you want to notice is that (y*y')'=y''*y+y'*y'. So you want u=y*y'. In terms of u you have a first order ode. Once you've solved for u, then it's separable.

Yeah, but I can't separate it! Or rather, I can separate it, but I get completely unworkable results. It tends to fall apart when I get to

-ln(u^2 + 1)/2 = ln(y) + C

With this substitution the ode becomes u'+1=0. Can you solve that? I think you can.

Ohh, okay, I see how that's different than the substitution I was using. Let me try this again (again).

Success! [tex] y = \sqrt{-x^2 + x + 1} [/tex]

Thank you SO much! No one in my class has been able to get that, we've been frantically IMing back and forth all night.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you still haven't got it. Aside from the fact it's simply wrong, a second order ode should have two undetermined constants. Where are they? I think you know the general pattern of the solution. Try and do it again, carefully this time.

I guess I didn't mention that I was given two BC ( y(1)=1 and y'(1)=0 ) and I was able to solve for them. And my final answer checks out. Phew.

Ok. Guess that works.

Related to Struggling with Solving a Diff Eq? Get Expert Help Here!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is solving a differential equation challenging?

Solving a differential equation can be challenging because it involves finding an unknown function that satisfies the given equation and initial conditions. This often requires advanced mathematical techniques and can be time-consuming.

3. What is the importance of solving differential equations?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to model and understand complex systems in the real world. They are used to predict the behavior of physical systems and can help us make informed decisions in fields such as engineering and economics.

4. Can I get help with solving a differential equation?

Yes, there are many resources available for getting help with solving differential equations. You can consult textbooks, online tutorials, or seek help from a tutor or expert in the field.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving differential equations?

To improve your skills in solving differential equations, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to practice regularly. You can also try solving a variety of problems and seeking help or feedback from others to identify areas for improvement.