How Do You Solve the Equation log(x) = sqrt(log(x))?

In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation logx=\sqrt{logx} and various approaches are discussed. One of the suggested methods is to substitute y=logx and solve for y, then replace y with logx to find the solutions. Another question is raised about solving equations with (logx)^n where n is greater than 1. The expert concludes that the common method is to simplify the equation and isolate x before solving.
hmm?
Hello,

I'm having trouble recovering all the solutions for this equation; here is the work I've managed to produce thus far.

logx=\sqrt{logx}

(logx)^2=logx

10^logx^2=x <--I'm not sure of this move?

x^2=x

x^2-x=0

x(x-1)=0

x= 1, 0

I know 0 cannot work, and 10 looks likes a possible solution, but I cannot produce it--anyways, any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try setting y = log x in the original equation then solve for y? That will avoid some confusion.

y=logx

x=10^(logx)^1/2

This is where I'm stuck, because I feel it would be illegal to assume

10^logx^1/2...shouldn't it be (logx)^1/2. I don't know how to simplify after this point.

Apply Tide's hint to this equation: [tex](logx)^2=logx[/tex]

Once you have solved for y, replace y with logx, and then solve for x.

hmm? said:
y=logx

x=10^(logx)^1/2

This is where I'm stuck, because I feel it would be illegal to assume

10^logx^1/2...shouldn't it be (logx)^1/2. I don't know how to simplify after this point.
Uhmm, no:
(log x)2 = log(x)
By letting y = log(x), we have:
y2 = y
<=> y2 - y = 0
And this is our familiar quadratic equation in y. Can you solve for y from that equation? Then from there, just solve for x.
Can you go from here? :)

Ahh, thanks! I can't believe I couldn't think of this, haha.

(logx)^2-logx=0

logx(logx-1)=0

logx=0 , log(x-1)=0

x=1, 10
A quick two questions: is there any other way to solve this, other than the y^2-y=0, and still maintain solutions 1, 10? For (logx)^n n>1, how would you treat this in an equation--merely a^n=(logx)^n never expanding?

Thanks,
Chris

hmm? said:
Ahh, thanks! I can't believe I couldn't think of this, haha.

(logx)^2-logx=0

logx(logx-1)=0

logx=0 , log(x-1)=0

x=1, 10
Yes, this is correct. Congratulations. :smile:
A quick two questions: is there any other way to solve this, other than the y^2-y=0, and still maintain solutions 1, 10?
Uhm... no.
By the way, this is the common way, and is fast enough. So, I don't think you'll need some other ways though. :)
For (logx)^n n>1, how would you treat this in an equation--merely a^n=(logx)^n never expanding?
Yes, if it helps you visualize better. Say, it would be much better if you substitute y = log(x), and all of sudden, the whole equation becomes a quadratic equation, or a cubic equation,... in y. Right?
Normally, to solve an equation, we simplify the equation first to make it look less complicated. Then we isolate x to one side of the equation. Then we solve it from there.
Of course, the equation:
[tex]x = 10 ^ {\sqrt{\log x}}[/tex] just looks horible, right?
Thanks,
Chris
You're welcome. :)

1. What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation that involves logarithms, which are mathematical functions that represent the inverse of exponential functions. In other words, logarithmic equations are used to solve for the unknown exponent in an exponential expression.

2. How do I solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms and algebraic techniques. First, isolate the logarithmic term on one side of the equation. Then, use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. Finally, solve for the unknown variable using algebraic techniques.

3. What are the properties of logarithms?

The three main properties of logarithms are the product property, quotient property, and power property. The product property states that the logarithm of a product is equal to the sum of the logarithms of the individual factors. The quotient property states that the logarithm of a quotient is equal to the difference of the logarithms of the individual terms. The power property states that the logarithm of a power is equal to the exponent times the logarithm of the base.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a logarithmic equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a logarithmic equation. Most scientific calculators have a "log" or "ln" button that allows you to find the logarithm of a number. However, it is important to note that calculators may not always give exact solutions and may round to the nearest decimal place.

5. Why do I need to solve logarithmic equations?

Solving logarithmic equations is important in many fields of mathematics, science, and engineering. These equations are used to model real-world phenomena such as population growth, interest rates, and radioactive decay. By solving logarithmic equations, we can determine unknown variables and make predictions about these phenomena.