How Do You Calculate Tension in a Dual Hanging Bucket System?

• Thread starter Tempus35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the problem involves two 3.6 kg paint buckets hanging from cords, with each cord having a weight of 2.6 N. The buckets are pulled upward with an acceleration of 1.40 m/s^2 by the upper cord. To determine the tension in each cord at the three points of attachment, one can use the equation F=ma and draw free body diagrams to isolate the bodies and solve for the tensions. The equations for tension are F=mg and Ft = Fg + m, where m is mass, g is gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and Theta is the angle between the cords.
Tempus35

Homework Statement

One 3.6 kg paint bucket is hanging by a cord from another 3.6 kg paint bucket, also hanging by a cord, as shown in the figure . The cords accelerating the buckets, each has a weight of 2.6 N.

If the two buckets are pulled upward with an acceleration of 1.40 m/s^2 by the upper cord, determine the tension in each cord at the three points of attachment.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempts have been little, I know how to do this to a degree if it is what the N of the buckets are but not the tension points. I know that there is the downward force of g, and the upward force of the pull. I know that it is accelerating so that means the upward force is higher then the N of the others. I guess you could say that the combined mass is 3.6x2 and the a is 1.4 so the F is (7.2)(1.4) but no clue how that helps.

So any help on how to understand this would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about this either, but there is an equation for tension...what was it...well, one such formula is F=mg, where m is mass, and g is gravity (9.8 meters/sec squared). Another one is Tension = g * (m1 * m2) / (m1 + m2) * (1 + sin Theta) or Ft = Fg + m

You'll want to begin by drawing some free body diagrams of the objects in the problem. Keep in mind that in this problem the cords also have weight, so it becomes slightly more complicated than when we assume that the cords have negligible weight.

Once you have that and can see where the forces are acting, you can isolate bodies and use [tex]\vec{F}_{net}=m\vec{a}_{net}[/tex] to solve for the tensions.

1. What is tension in a scientific context?

Tension is a measurement of the force or stress applied to an object, usually in reference to an elastic material. It is typically expressed in units of newtons (N).

2. How do I calculate tension in a given scenario?

Tension can be calculated by dividing the force applied to an object by the cross-sectional area of the object. The formula for tension is T = F/A, where T is tension, F is force, and A is cross-sectional area.

3. What are some common examples of tension problems in science?

Tension problems can arise in various scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. Examples include calculating the tension in a rope holding up a weight, determining the tension on a bridge's cables, and measuring the tension in a muscle during exercise.

4. How can I solve a tension problem with multiple forces involved?

To solve a tension problem involving multiple forces, you can use the principle of vector addition. This involves breaking down the forces into their x and y components and then adding them together to find the resultant force. The tension can then be calculated using the resultant force.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding tension in science?

Understanding tension is crucial in many real-world applications, such as designing structures and machines, analyzing the mechanics of sports movements, and studying the behavior of biological tissues. It also plays a significant role in fields such as aeronautics, robotics, and materials science.