What mistake did I make in finding the net force on a rotating disc?

In summary, a horizontal disc rotating at an angular velocity w has a small body of mass m moving with velocity v relative to the disc along the diameter. The net force exerted by the disc on the body can be found as a function of radius from the centre using the expression (v^2+(wr)^2)^(1/2). However, this only represents the speed of the particle and not the velocity, which is a vector quantity. The acceleration takes into account both the change in speed and direction of velocity, which can be found using the equation (4) in the provided resource.
Brilli

Homework Statement

A horizontal disc is rotating with an angular velocity w about its axis perpendicular to its plane. A small body of mass m moves with velocity v relative to the disc alog the diameter. Find the net force exerted by the disk on the body as function of radius from centre.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attepmt-the velocity component perpendicular to radius is wr and its normal component is v. Thus net velocity at radius r is (v^2+(wr)^2)^(1/2).
I differentiate it wrt time but the answer comes to be wrong. Could anyone point out my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Brilli said:
Thus net velocity at radius r is (v^2+(wr)^2)^(1/2).
I differentiate it wrt time but the answer comes to be wrong. Could anyone point out my mistake?
The expression (v2+(wr)2)1/2 represents the speed of the particle, not the velocity. Velocity is a vector quantity.
Acceleration is defined as rate of change of velocity, not rate of change of speed. So, acceleration takes into account change in direction of velocity as well as change in speed.

For a review of velocity and acceleration in polar coordinates, see
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronau...fall-2009/lecture-notes/MIT16_07F09_Lec05.pdf

Note equation (4), which gives the acceleration.

Likes BvU

1. What is an Irodov problem?

An Irodov problem refers to a physics problem from the popular textbook "Problems in General Physics" written by renowned Russian physicist, I. E. Irodov. These problems are known for being challenging and covering a wide range of topics in physics.

2. How can I solve an Irodov problem?

Solving Irodov problems requires a strong understanding of physics concepts and principles. It is important to carefully read and analyze the problem, identify the relevant equations and concepts, and use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to arrive at a solution.

3. Are there any tips or strategies for solving Irodov problems?

Some tips for solving Irodov problems include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, checking units and dimensions for consistency, and practicing regularly with similar types of problems to improve problem-solving skills.

4. What if I am stuck on an Irodov problem?

If you are stuck on an Irodov problem, it can be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor, or to discuss the problem with peers. It may also be beneficial to review relevant concepts and equations, and to approach the problem from a different angle.

5. Are there any resources available for help with Irodov problems?

Yes, there are many online resources such as forums, study groups, and video tutorials that provide help with Irodov problems. Additionally, many physics textbooks and study guides offer solutions and explanations for Irodov problems.