How Does Symmetry Impact the Derivative in Tensor Calculations?

• Thread starter adriang
  • Start date
In summary, a basic question in science is one that can be answered using fundamental principles and concepts in a specific field of study. To improve your ability to ask these types of questions, it is important to practice critical thinking and familiarize yourself with the fundamental concepts and principles in your field. Asking basic questions is important in scientific research because it helps to clarify and define the problem, identify knowledge gaps, and guide the research process. While asking questions is crucial, asking too many basic questions can slow down the research process and it is important to strike a balance. To find answers to basic questions, you can conduct research, consult reliable sources, and discuss with experts in the field. It is also important to critically analyze the information and evidence found to
adriang

Homework Statement

If [tex]\phi=a_{rs}x^{r}x^{s}[/tex]
Then show that [tex]\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x^{r}}=(a_{rs}+a_{sr})x^{s}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Help please I can't seem to get the correct answer. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi adriang! :smile:

you have to remember that once you've summed over an index, you can't use it again! :rolleyes:

in this case, you can't write ∂/∂xr (arsxrxs) …

instead try writing ∂/∂xr (aqsxqxs) :wink:

ah thanks tim lol silly me..

FAQ: How Does Symmetry Impact the Derivative in Tensor Calculations?

1. What is considered a basic question in science?

A basic question in science is one that can be answered by using fundamental principles or concepts in a specific field of study. It is usually a question that helps to build a foundation of knowledge and understanding in a particular subject.

2. How can I improve my ability to ask basic questions in science?

The best way to improve your ability to ask basic questions in science is to practice critical thinking and to familiarize yourself with the fundamental concepts and principles in your field of study. You can also seek guidance from your instructor or peers.

3. Why is asking basic questions important in scientific research?

Asking basic questions is important in scientific research because it helps to clarify and define the problem, identify knowledge gaps, and guide the research process. Basic questions also help to ensure that the research is relevant and addresses the key issues in a particular field.

4. Can I ask too many basic questions?

While asking questions is crucial in scientific research, asking too many basic questions can slow down the research process and may not lead to significant findings. It is important to strike a balance and focus on asking relevant and critical questions that can contribute to the advancement of knowledge.

5. How can I find answers to my basic questions?

You can find answers to your basic questions by conducting research, consulting reliable sources such as textbooks and scientific journals, and discussing your questions with experts in your field. It is also helpful to critically analyze the information and evidence you find to ensure its accuracy and relevance.