Understanding the Behavior of a Combination Clipper Circuit

• Thread starter waffle123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combination
In summary, In this poorly drawn pedantic circuit, the teacher is trying to teach the students about current flow and voltage levels. The student is confused because there is no current path and the circuit is missing many real world elements.
waffle123
Poster has been reminded to post schoolwork questions in the Homework Help forums
Ok so my teacher gave us this as an assignment:
Untitled.png

and was tasked with drawing the output voltage. The input voltage is a sine wave with 10v and -10v as its peaks.

So I know that the positive cycle will have both diodes be forward biased and the negative cycle will have 3 parts. First is when Vin<2v, both diodes are forward biased; Second is when 2v<Vin<5, D1 is reverse biased and D2 is Forward biased so Vo=-5v; And the last part is when Vin>5v, both diodes are reverse biased so Vo=Vin.

Now what confuses me is when both diodes are forward biased so the diodes turn into a short, leaving 2 cells with different voltages in parallel which I don't think is good/posibble. If it is ppossible then I'm not sure what is Vo is. I'm thinking it's -5v, -3v or -7v.

Anyways, can someone help me out here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. This is a poorly drawn pedantic circuit. There are obvious real world problems with it.

So what is it trying to teach? Reworded, what are you studying?

Think about the current flow. Where does it go?

If there is no current flow (since there's no current path) what happens?

Of course real circuits have both current and voltage, which makes this an odd duck. I'm sure it's supposed to illustrate a lesson, but without knowing your coursework, I can't guess what that is.

In any case, you can't go wrong with KVL and KCL. Apply them. Find numbers.

Sorry about the drawing. I did it with a mouse.

Right now we just started with learning about clippers. We've talked about the different types of clippers(positive, negative, combination, etc) and illustrated the output wave of each if the input wave was a sine wave.

I do believe the resistor is unimportant right now since it wasn't used in the examples he gave us.

I don't exactly know what the purpose of this is. I think he's trying to see if we can apply what we learned to an unfamiliar case.

I'm sorry if this post isn't of any help. I'm rather tired right now and need to sleep so I can't really think well.

So what happens if the output voltage is -10V? What about -6V? What about -4V? What about 0V?

Give it some thought. Trace out the current flow and voltage levels.

I believe the 5v cell would discharge onto the 2v cell so that they'd be at the same voltage which would be 3v. If that is the case then that would mean that the output voltage for when the diodes are forward biased would be -3v.
Am I right?

I don't see a problem with the circuit :-) Can both diodes ever be forward bias?

Set the input to -10v and redraw it with +ve nodes at the top of the page. Then gradually increase vin to -5v. Plot vout vs vin. Can Vout ever get much higher than say -5v + vbe ?

1. How do I choose the right combination clipper for my hair?

Choosing the right combination clipper depends on your hair type and the style you want to achieve. Look for clippers with adjustable blades, multiple guard sizes, and different cutting lengths to give you the most versatility.

2. How do I use a combination clipper?

Start by selecting the appropriate guard size for the desired length and attach it to the clipper. Then, turn on the clipper and move it against the direction of hair growth, using smooth and even strokes. Be sure to clean the clipper regularly to maintain its performance.

3. Can I use a combination clipper for both hair and beard trimming?

Yes, combination clippers are versatile and can be used for both hair and beard trimming. Just make sure to switch to a smaller guard size when trimming your beard to achieve a more precise cut.

4. How often should I replace the blades on my combination clipper?

The frequency of blade replacement depends on how often you use the clipper and the type of hair you have. On average, blades should be replaced every 6-12 months for optimal performance. However, if you notice the blades becoming dull or snagging on your hair, it may be time to replace them sooner.

5. Can I use a combination clipper on wet hair?

It is not recommended to use combination clippers on wet hair as it can cause damage to the blades and affect the performance of the clipper. It is best to use the clipper on dry hair and clean and dry the blades after each use to prevent rusting.