Understanding Clamper Circuits: Analysis, Voltage Shifts, and Capacitor Behavior

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of a circuit where the output voltage is supposed to be similar to the input but shifted upwards by 20V. The output voltage depends on the ratio of resistance to capacitive reactance, but the time constant is large, so the capacitor does not charge through the resistor. The conversation also brings up the concept of a large resistance and how it affects the circuit. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to watch a video for a better understanding of the circuit.
Abdulwahab Hajar
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello everyone, I hope you could help me with the analysis of this circuit.
the output voltage is supposed to be similar to the input but shifted upwards by 20V, so basically it's between 0 and 40V... but why?
I mean when the input is 20V, the diode is reverse biased... and the capacitor charges... our output voltage depends on the ratio of the resistance to the capacitive reactance... at least until the capacitor fully charges... but then what happens?

Thank you

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 658
Physics news on Phys.org
Abdulwahab Hajar said:
I mean when the input is 20V, the diode is reverse biased... and the capacitor charges...

no. They told you the time constant is large, so the capacotor does NOT charge through the resistor.

Your thought tool should be this: "Time constant is large, eh? If i take that to the extreme how would the circuit behave? Limit would be infinite time constant... so what would go on if that resistor were nearly ∞ or not even there ? "

In your mind snip out that resistor and repeat your thought experiment , considering both Vt transitions.

Likes Abdulwahab Hajar
jim hardy said:
no. They told you the time constant is large, so the capacotor does NOT charge through the resistor.

Your thought tool should be this: "Time constant is large, eh? If i take that to the extreme how would the circuit behave? Limit would be infinite time constant... so what would go on if that resistor were nearly ∞ or not even there ? "

In your mind snip out that resistor and repeat your thought experiment , considering both Vt transitions.
I really can't see where this is going, a bit more insight would be highly appreciated...
I mean a very high resistance would mean almost 0 current given that the voltage supply is constant... but that doesn't really get me anywhere..
Also sir, they said that the time constant is large... how would we know if that indicates a large resistance or a large capacitance.. since the time constant is RC and dependent on both...

Thank you!

Abdulwahab Hajar said:
I really can't see where this is going, a bit more insight would be highly appreciated...
I mean a very high resistance would mean almost 0 current

What about the diode ?

Likes Abdulwahab Hajar
Abdulwahab Hajar said:
the voltage supply is constant
??
upload_2018-3-10_15-31-31.png

looks to me like voltage goes from +20 to -20 then back to +20, maybe repeating that forever they didn't say .

You are not operating the circuit in your mind.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-10_15-31-31.png
    upload_2018-3-10_15-31-31.png
    801 bytes · Views: 460
jim hardy said:
What about the diode ?
Got it sir, I forgot that the diode would determine the voltage drop Vo...
Thank you!

Likes jim hardy

1. What is a clamper circuit?

A clamper circuit is an electronic circuit that is used to shift the DC level of a signal without changing its shape. It is often used to add a DC offset to an AC signal or to remove unwanted DC offsets from a signal.

2. How does a clamper circuit work?

A clamper circuit works by using a diode and a capacitor to modify the DC level of a signal. When the input signal crosses the threshold voltage of the diode, the diode conducts and charges the capacitor to the desired DC level. This shifts the DC level of the output signal without changing the input signal's shape.

3. What are the different types of clamper circuits?

There are two main types of clamper circuits: positive and negative clamper circuits. A positive clamper circuit shifts the DC level of the signal up, while a negative clamper circuit shifts it down. Other variations include the use of multiple diodes and capacitors to achieve more complex DC level shifts.

4. What are some applications of clamper circuits?

Clamper circuits have various applications in electronics and signal processing. They are commonly used in video and audio equipment to remove DC offsets and to stabilize signal levels. They can also be used in power supplies to regulate the output voltage.

5. How do you analyze a clamper circuit?

To analyze a clamper circuit, you need to use Kirchhoff's circuit laws and Ohm's law to calculate the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. You can also use simulation software or build the circuit on a breadboard to test its behavior with different input signals and component values.