Help with the Derrick scaling argument and topological solitons

In summary, the Derrick scaling argument is a mathematical theorem that states higher-dimensional nonlinear field theories cannot have stable localized solutions in three or more spatial dimensions. It is often used to explain the existence of topological solitons in certain dimensions, as their topological properties can counter the energy increase predicted by the argument. While originally developed for scalar field theories, it has been extended to other types of field theories. The topological charge of a soliton can affect its stability, and there are a few known exceptions to the Derrick scaling argument, but they are rare and rely on specific conditions or symmetries.
JackHolmes
TL;DR Summary
Derrick scaling argument and topological soliton energy bound seem to contradict each other?
I have been reading Manton & Sutcliffe for some time now and can't quite wrap my head around something.

If you take the Hopf invariant N of a topological soliton ϕ then its Skyrme-Faddeev energy (which I hope I've gotten right up to some constants)

E=∫∂iϕ⋅∂iϕ+(∂iϕ×∂jϕ)⋅(∂iϕ×∂jϕ) d3x​

satisfies the bound E>c|N|3/4 (as per page 423). This seems like a really nice result. (BTW ϕ here is a vector field in ℝ3)

However, using the idea behind Derrick's theorem, I can rescale x→μx for some μ∈ℝ. Then the energy for the re-scaled soliton is something like E(μ(x))∽μE(x). Re-scaling space doesn't affect the Hopf invariant though (since it's a topological property) so you can make E arbitrarily small without changing N just by re-scaling the topological soliton. So I don't see how the inequality can hold since E can be made arbitrarily small.

What is wrong with my intuition here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Topological field theory isn’t really in my wheelhouse, but I think your answer comes on page 84-85 of Manton and Sutcliffe, where it explains that Derrick’s theorem doesn’t apply for theories with terms higher than quadratic in the derivatives of the field. Maybe someone with more experience in topology can give you a better answer.

Edit: this is, in fact, the correct explanation. Manton and Sutcliffe apply Derrick’s theorem to baby skyrmions on page 152-153 (in 2 dimensions, but an analogous argument goes through for 3D).

Last edited:
For posterity, in case folks with similar questions don’t have access to the book:
The scaling argument considers a finite scalar field ##\phi(\mathbf{x})## in ##\mathbb{R}^d## which is scaled by a factor of ##\mu>0## to give ##\phi(\mu\mathbf{x})##. The scaled energy of the field is a function of ##\mu## in general. In particular, the energy for a field with a scalar potential will be:
$$\begin{align*}
E(\phi(\mu\mathbf{x})) &=\int{\left[\mathbf{\nabla}\phi(\mu\mathbf{x})\cdot\mathbf{\nabla}\phi(\mu\mathbf{x}) + U(\phi(\mu\mathbf{x}))\right]d^dx} \\
&=\int{\left[\mu^{2-d}\mathbf{\nabla}\phi(\mu\mathbf{x})\cdot\mathbf{\nabla}\phi(\mu\mathbf{x}) + \mu^{-d}U(\phi(\mu\mathbf{x}))\right]d^d(\mu x)}
\end{align*}$$
So for ##d\geq2##, the energy will, in general, decrease monotonically with increasing ##\mu##. Derrick’s theorem states that, since the scaled energy function has no stationary point, the only static solution of the field equation is the trivial (vacuum) solution. Therefore, there does not exist a stable topological soliton.

However, for the baby Skyrme model:
$$
E(\phi)=\int{\left[\mathbf{\nabla}\phi\cdot\mathbf{\nabla}\phi + (\mathbf{\nabla}\phi\times\mathbf{\nabla}\phi)\cdot(\mathbf{\nabla}\phi\times\mathbf{\nabla}\phi)\right]d^dx}
$$
Calling the first term of the integral ##E_2## and the second term ##E_4##, we see that, in ##\mathbb{R}^3##:
$$E=\mu^{-1}E_2+\mu E_4$$
which has a minimum at finite ##\mu##, meaning that topologically non-trivial solutions to the field equation are not specifically ruled out by Derrick’s theorem.

1. What is the Derrick scaling argument?

The Derrick scaling argument is a mathematical tool used to investigate the existence and stability of topological solitons, which are stable, localized solutions to nonlinear field equations. It involves analyzing the scaling behavior of the energy density of the system as a function of the size of the soliton.

2. How does the Derrick scaling argument relate to topological solitons?

The Derrick scaling argument is used to determine whether a given field theory supports topological solitons. If the scaling behavior of the energy density is such that it allows for a finite energy solution at a critical value of the size of the soliton, then the theory supports topological solitons.

3. What does the Derrick scaling argument tell us about the stability of topological solitons?

The Derrick scaling argument can be used to determine the stability of topological solitons. If the scaling behavior of the energy density shows that the energy of the soliton decreases as its size increases, then the soliton is stable. However, if the energy increases with size, then the soliton is unstable.

4. Are there any limitations to the Derrick scaling argument?

Yes, there are limitations to the Derrick scaling argument. It assumes that the soliton is spherically symmetric and that the energy density is a smooth function. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of quantum fluctuations, which can play a significant role in the stability of topological solitons.

5. How is the Derrick scaling argument applied in practice?

The Derrick scaling argument is typically applied by first writing down the energy density of the system in terms of the soliton size and then analyzing its scaling behavior. This can be done analytically in some cases, but in more complex systems, numerical methods may be necessary. The results of the analysis can then be used to determine the existence and stability of topological solitons in the system.

Back