Help with Differential Equations please

In summary, the two given equations are solved using integration, with the first solution containing a common mistake. The second solution is easily integrated. The person asking the question is in Calc AB and does not want methods that are too advanced.
Jay9313

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=3y f(2)=-1
and
[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=e[itex]^{y}[/itex]x when x=-2 y=-ln(3)
I'm in Calc AB By the way, so please do not try to show me methods that are too advanced.

Homework Equations

There are no relevant equations?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the first solution is
[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dy}{3y}[/itex]=[itex]\int[/itex]dx
[itex]\frac{ln(y)}{3}[/itex]=x+c
y=e[itex]^{3x+3c}[/itex]
ln(-1)=6+3c
You can't have that Natural Log though.. So I 'm stuck.

My attempt at the second solution is..
∫[itex]\frac{dy}{e^{y}}[/itex]=∫x dx
-[itex]\frac{1}{e^{y}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{x^{2}}{2}[/itex]+c
-ln(e[itex]^{-y}[/itex])=e[itex]^{}\frac{x^{2}+2c}{2}[/itex]
-ln(3)=e[itex]^{}\frac{4+2c}{2}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jay9313 said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=3y f(2)=-1
and
[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=e[itex]^{y}[/itex]x when x=-2 y=-ln(3)
I'm in Calc AB By the way, so please do not try to show me methods that are too advanced.

Homework Equations

There are no relevant equations?

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the first solution is
[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dy}{3y}[/itex]=[itex]\int[/itex]dx
[itex]\frac{ln(y)}{3}[/itex]=x+c
Your integration has a common mistake. The integral of 1/y is NOT ln(y), it is ln(|y|).

y=e[itex]^{3x+3c}[/itex]
ln(-1)=6+3c
You can't have that Natural Log though.. So I 'm stuck.
(I'm going to submit this and go back and show my solution for the second one since it takes me a little while to put this in.)
(2) is also easy to integrate.

Oh man, I'm so used to the absolute value not mattering,that it screwed me up =/ Thank you soooo much.

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a system changes over time. They involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a variable, and can be used to model a wide range of natural phenomena, from population growth to the motion of objects.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology, to model and solve real-world problems.

3. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some equations can be solved analytically, using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or substitution. Others may require numerical methods, such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. It is important to first identify the type of equation and then apply the appropriate method.

4. What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications, including predicting the weather, designing bridges and buildings, developing control systems for aircraft and spacecraft, and modeling the spread of diseases. They are also used in fields such as finance, chemistry, and neuroscience.

5. Where can I learn more about differential equations?

There are many resources available for learning about differential equations, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. You can also consult with a math tutor or join a study group to get additional help and practice solving equations. Additionally, many universities offer courses on differential equations, and their professors are usually willing to answer any questions you may have.