1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with egg drop!

1. May 29, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    For my physics class I have to design some sort of encasement around an egg so that it will survive a 3m drop. The encasement (including the egg) can be no larger than 150 cubic centimeters. Any ideas?
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. There have been lots of threads about egg drop projects here on the PF. You can see some of them linked to at the bottom of this page under the Related Threads list. You can also use the Search feature to find lots of other threads and info.

The PF Search Engine doesn't work for words of only 3 letters, so instead do a search on eggs. Read through some of those threads, and post your thoughts back here as you start to have ideas.

4. May 29, 2009 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know why I never thought of this before, but I have the perfect solution to this challenge. You don't even need an enclosure. Simply incubate the egg. Once it has grown feathers, surviving a 3-metre drop should be no problem.

5. May 29, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Clever, Danger-san. Too bad the chicks crack out of the egg without feathers. The judges will need to be made to wait a long time for this contestant's drop! :smile:

6. May 29, 2009 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I know. The OP didn't mention a time limit. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook