Where Can I Find Information on Paranormal Experiences and Mental Illness?

• Thread starter AzureAzael
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the author is asking where he can find help concerning things that are not entirely believed in, specifically concerning psychic events. He mentions a mental balance issue, which he resolves with medication, and is prone to paranormal experiences, long before he discovered his mental illness. He suggests looking for an active forum, specifically the research by Dr. Ramachandran, concerning religious experiences in those with temporal lobe epilepsy.
AzureAzael
I usually browse through PF for information concerning mind and brain sciences, sociology, (feel free to correct my spelling) philosophy and many other things, but am I allowed to ask where I could find help concerning something that is not.. Entirely believed in? I do have a mental balance issue which I resolve with medication but I've always been prone to paranormal type things, long before I discovered my mental illness. What I'm asking is, is there either another (active)forum where I could pose my questions about these things, or is there an area in PF where I could ask? They're psychosis, bi polar disorder, as well as psychic related questions but I don't know where to go to ask these questions.

-edit- I mentioned the disabilities because it's most often believed that people with these disabilities experience these things because of their disabilities. Therefore deducting more credibility from my case. What I wish to discuss, though, has less to do with what I experience, rather it's damaging effects ie: episodes

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it sounds that medical/psychiatry forum, rather than a physics forum, would be a better choice for you

it's not psychiatry I seek though, nor truly medical advice. The question is, more or less, where could I pose questions concerning psychic events?

-edit- also, do you know of any active forums like that? I'd love to read about it

punch in 'psychic' and 'forum' in a search engine --you'll probably get a few hits---

I've done that many times, that's why I'm asking here lol

Hey, well, they got a new one up since I last checked, thanks man

Yeah exactly the one I'm going to try out, thank you man. I've searched quite frequently for a decent, active forum and today's the first time I've seen that. Sorry, and thank you

no problem and good luck

One thing you might be interested in, is the research by Dr Ramachandran. There is a lot of work he does concerning religious experiences in those with temporal lobe epilepsy and he can reproduce experiences in those without the condition using magnetcic fields. I don't know of any forums that discuss that directly but just thought it might be food for thought.

1. What is the best way to search for information?

The best way to search for information depends on the type of information you are looking for. Some common methods include using search engines, databases, and library catalogs. It is also helpful to use specific keywords and filters to narrow down your search results.

2. How can I determine if a source is reliable?

There are several ways to determine if a source is reliable. Look for sources from reputable organizations or experts in the field. Check for citations and references to other credible sources. Evaluate the date and relevance of the information, and consider the bias or perspective of the source.

3. Where can I find credible statistics and data?

Credible statistics and data can be found in reputable databases, government websites, and academic sources. It is important to check the source of the data and ensure it is from a reliable and unbiased organization.

4. What is the best way to organize and keep track of my research?

The best way to organize and keep track of your research is to use a note-taking system or software. This can include creating an outline, using a citation manager, or creating a spreadsheet to track your sources and notes. It is important to keep your research organized to avoid plagiarism and make it easier to reference your sources.

5. How do I properly cite my sources?

The proper way to cite sources depends on the citation style required by your field or publication. Some common citation styles include APA, MLA, and Chicago. Make sure to follow the specific guidelines for the style you are using and include all necessary information such as author, title, publication date, and page numbers.