1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with frames physics

1. Dec 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two 10-inch diameter pipes (pipe 1 and pipe2) are supported every 10ft by a small frame like the one shown. Knowing that the combined weight per unit length of each pipe and its contents is 22 lb/ft and assuming frictionless surfaces, determine the components of the reactions at A and E.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    first id like to make sure im doing the weight of the pipe correctly:

Wboth = (22 lb/ft)(10ft) = 220lb. W1 = W2 = 110lbs

now that its all typed out i think i know what to do, but just correct me if im wrong. i can get the verticle forces of A and E by finding the moment of the entire frame and setting it to 0. (the only forces involved are the weight of both pipes. A and E counter act it to make a moment of 0)
    Then i can find all forces acting on Pipe 2, which is pipe 1, the pole and gravity pulling it down.
    Then i find the forces acting on Pipe 1 which is pipe 2, both poles, and gravity.
    Then i find the moment about the brown dot for each pole individually to find the horrizontal forces of A and E

edit: and also i beleive the horizontal distance from the brown dot to where pipe 2 makes contact with the pole is 1.5rsin(theta)
    the horizontal distance of pipe 1 is just rsin(theta).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2008 #2
    Re: Frames

ok nevermind, i just went through this problem and got the same answer they had in the book. its kind of annoying, thats like the 3rd problem this week where i figured it out as i was finished typing everything up and drawing the picture lol
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?