Help with Frames Physics: Determining Reactions at A and E for Two 10-Inch Pipes

In summary, the problem involves determining the components of the reactions at A and E for two 10-inch diameter pipes supported by a small frame every 10ft. The combined weight per unit length of each pipe and its contents is 22 lb/ft and frictionless surfaces are assumed. The solution involves finding the vertical forces at A and E by setting the moment of the entire frame to 0, then finding the forces acting on each pipe individually and finally finding the horizontal forces at A and E by calculating the moment about the brown dot for each pole.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

Two 10-inch diameter pipes (pipe 1 and pipe2) are supported every 10ft by a small frame like the one shown. Knowing that the combined weight per unit length of each pipe and its contents is 22 lb/ft and assuming frictionless surfaces, determine the components of the reactions at A and E.

attachment.php?attachmentid=16677&d=1228194586.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first id like to make sure I am doing the weight of the pipe correctly:

Wboth = (22 lb/ft)(10ft) = 220lb. W1 = W2 = 110lbs

now that its all typed out i think i know what to do, but just correct me if I am wrong. i can get the verticle forces of A and E by finding the moment of the entire frame and setting it to 0. (the only forces involved are the weight of both pipes. A and E counter act it to make a moment of 0)
Then i can find all forces acting on Pipe 2, which is pipe 1, the pole and gravity pulling it down.
Then i find the forces acting on Pipe 1 which is pipe 2, both poles, and gravity.
Then i find the moment about the brown dot for each pole individually to find the horrizontal forces of A and Eedit: and also i believe the horizontal distance from the brown dot to where pipe 2 makes contact with the pole is 1.5rsin(theta)
the horizontal distance of pipe 1 is just rsin(theta).

Attachments

• fig p6.92a.JPG
    fig p6.92a.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

ok nevermind, i just went through this problem and got the same answer they had in the book. its kind of annoying, that's like the 3rd problem this week where i figured it out as i was finished typing everything up and drawing the picture lol

FAQ: Help with Frames Physics: Determining Reactions at A and E for Two 10-Inch Pipes

1. What are frames in physics?

Frames in physics refer to a coordinate system or a reference frame used to describe the position, motion, and other physical quantities of an object or system. It is a set of axes used to define the position and orientation of an object in space.

2. How do frames affect the study of physics?

Frames play a crucial role in physics as they provide a point of reference for measuring and analyzing the motion and interactions of objects. They allow scientists to study the behavior of objects in different reference frames and understand the fundamental principles of motion and forces.

3. What is the difference between inertial and non-inertial frames?

Inertial frames are those that are at rest or moving with a constant velocity, while non-inertial frames are accelerating or rotating. In physics, the laws of motion are only valid in inertial frames, whereas additional forces, such as fictitious forces, are required to describe the motion in non-inertial frames.

4. Can frames be changed or transformed in physics?

Yes, frames can be transformed in physics using mathematical equations, such as the Galilean or Lorentz transformations, to convert the coordinates and physical quantities from one frame to another. This allows scientists to analyze the same physical phenomenon from different frames of reference.

5. Why is it important to understand frames in physics?

Understanding frames is crucial in physics as it allows scientists to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It also helps in the development of theories and models that explain the fundamental laws of the universe, such as Newton's laws of motion and Einstein's theory of relativity.