Help with free body diagram for circular motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on an object resting on a rotating disk and how to visualize them in a free body diagram. These forces include Fg (force due to gravity), Fn (normal force), Fc (centripetal force), and Ffs (force of static friction). The conversation also confirms that Fc and Ffs are equal in magnitude and explains how friction plays a crucial role in keeping the object at rest on the disk.
eggman2001
Suppose you have an object (lets call it block A) resting on the edge of a circular rotating disk and sitting static on the disk. I'd like to visualize a free body diagram for this showing forces.

These are the forces I believe are acting on it:
- Fg - Force due to gravity
- Fn - Normal force equal in magnitude to Fg but it the opposite direction
- Fc - Centripital force towards the center of the disk
- Ffs - Force of static friction equal equal in magnitude to Fc in the direction that is tangent to the disk and in the same direction as the rotation of the disk.

Is this correct? I'm also trying to understand why Fc and Ffs would be equal in magnitude as I saw in an example.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the frictional force which is the centripetal force. Without friction, the body wouldn't stay at rest with respect to the disk.

When the disk starts to rotate, the frictional force instantaneously will be in the direction tangential to the rotation of the disk, and pointing toward the direction of motion of the block. But once the angular velocity has become constant, the direction of the frictional force is toward the centre of rotation.

This can be visualized by going to the rotating frame. There, the block experiences a centrifugal force acting radially outward, which has to be balanced by the frictional force acting radially inward.

That makes sense. Thank you.

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object in a given system. It helps us understand the motion of the object by showing the magnitude and direction of each force.

2. How do I draw a free body diagram for circular motion?

To draw a free body diagram for circular motion, you need to identify the object's center of mass and draw a dot to represent it. Then, draw arrows to represent all the forces acting on the object, including the centripetal force, gravitational force, and any other external forces.

3. What is the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It always acts towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the object's direction, but not its speed.

4. How do I determine the magnitude and direction of the centripetal force?

The magnitude of the centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2 / r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. The direction of the centripetal force is always towards the center of the circle.

5. Are there any other forces to consider in circular motion?

Yes, there could be other forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance, which can affect the motion and speed of the object. These forces should also be included in the free body diagram to get a complete understanding of the system.