Help with Friction: Solving a Problem Example

• Thread starter FocusedWolf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the speaker is confused about how to use the friction formulas in their book and is seeking help with examples. They provide a problem involving a block at rest on an incline and ask for the frictional forces acting on it. They also mention finding the normal force and the component of gravity along the inclined plane to determine the possible kinetic and static friction forces.
FocusedWolf
Ok, before i start i'd like to say I'm totally confussed about how to use use the friction formulas in my book...i say this because all my answers are wrong!

Ok so what i need is help in the form of examples...and alot...cause my book doesn't offer anything.

Anyhoo, heres's a problem I'm trying to solve: ( i rounded off the numbers for clarity)

A block is at rest on an incline 30 degrees.

weight 10kg
Us .50
Uk .40

What is the frictional forces acting on the the 10kg mass. Answer in units of N

Someone help clarify a plan of attack...in meantime I am going to try reading this chapter some more.

Physics news on Phys.org
FocusedWolf said:
A block is at rest on an incline 30 degrees.

weight 10kg
Us .50
Uk .40

What is the frictional forces acting on the the 10kg mass. Answer in units of
First find the normal force. In this case it is equal and opposite to the component of gravity that is perpendicular to the surface of the inclined plane. That will enable you to find the possible kinetic and static friction forces.

Then find the component of gravity along the surface of the inclined plane. That will tell you whether the block moves.

From that you can answer the question.

AM

Hi there,

I can understand your confusion with using friction formulas. It can definitely be tricky at first, but with practice and examples, you will get the hang of it.

Let's take a look at the problem you provided. The first step in solving any problem involving friction is to identify the forces acting on the object. In this case, we have the weight of the block (10kg) acting downwards and the force of friction acting in the opposite direction, parallel to the incline.

Next, we need to determine the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface of the incline. In this case, it would be the component of the weight that is perpendicular to the incline. We can use trigonometry to find this value. Since the incline is at 30 degrees, the normal force would be equal to 10kg multiplied by the cosine of 30 degrees, which is approximately 8.66kg.

Now, we can use the formula for friction force, which is Ff = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force. In this case, we have two coefficients of friction - one for static friction (Us) and one for kinetic friction (Uk). Since the block is at rest on the incline, we will use the coefficient of static friction, which is 0.50. So the friction force would be 0.50 multiplied by 8.66kg, which gives us 4.33kg.

However, the units for force are in Newtons (N), not kilograms (kg). To convert from kg to N, we need to multiply by the acceleration due to gravity (g), which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. So the final answer would be 4.33kg x 9.8 m/s^2 = 42.45N.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and gives you an idea of how to approach friction problems. Remember to always identify the forces, use the appropriate coefficient of friction, and convert units if necessary. Keep practicing and you'll become more comfortable with using friction formulas. Best of luck!

Related to Help with Friction: Solving a Problem Example

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces and can vary based on the type of materials in contact and the amount of force applied.

Why is friction important?

Friction is important because it helps to prevent objects from sliding or slipping when a force is applied. It also allows us to control the motion of objects and is essential for many everyday activities, such as walking, driving, and writing.

How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces in contact. Another way to reduce friction is by using smoother surfaces or by changing the materials in contact to ones with lower coefficients of friction.

What is a common problem that can be solved by understanding friction?

A common problem that can be solved by understanding friction is the wear and tear of moving parts in machines and equipment. By reducing friction, the lifespan of these parts can be extended, saving time and money on maintenance and replacements.

What are some real-world examples of friction?

Some real-world examples of friction include walking on the ground, riding a bike, starting a fire with a match, and using a pencil to write on paper. Friction is also important in sports, such as ice skating and baseball, and in transportation, such as the tires of a car gripping the road.