1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Gaussian integration problem please

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    Help with Gaussian integration problem please :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute the improper integral
    [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}x^{2}e^{-x^2}dx[/itex]
    given
    [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{\pi}.[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Just the rule for doubly-improper integrals I guess:
    [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}f(x)dx=\lim_{a\rightarrow-\infty}\lim_{b\rightarrow\infty}\int^{b}_{a}f(x)dx[/itex]

[itex]erf(x)[/itex] is beyond the scope of this course and thus cannot be utilized in any way.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't see any substitutions that would make things easier, and integration by parts doesn't seem useful (choosing to derive [itex]u=e^{-x^2}[/itex] and integrate [itex]dv=x^{2}dx[/itex] will never simplify or isolate [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex], and you can't choose to integrate [itex]dv=e^{-x^2}dx[/itex] and derive [itex]u=x^2[/itex] because we are only given the special case of [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}dx[/itex] and not a general antiderivative.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Help with Gaussian integration problem please :)

I'll give you a little hint.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{-x^2} = -2xe^{-x^2}[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]\begin{aligned} \int_{-\infty}^\infty x^2 e^{-x^2} \text{d}x & = -\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^\infty x (-2x e^{-x^2}) \text{d}x \\ & = - \frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^\infty x \frac{d}{dx}e^{-x^2}dx\end{aligned}[/tex]

Can you now use integration by parts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook