Convergence and Conditions for Integrating an Infinite Series Solution

• Thread starter bassota
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Yes, he would need to determine whether the series converges uniformly and whether they fulfill some other conditions. It is obvious that this series can be integrated term by term.
bassota
hey. i got an integral:
INT = integral

INT (e^-x)/x dx

PLEASE HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
make a substitution

sorry, but i do not see how will a substitution help. i ahve tried it. i have also tried the integration by part and did not get anywhere. please explain, and show some details. thanks

i do not think this has any nice solution, i mean in terms of any elementary function. I believe it does not have any closed form, unless we want to expand the function under integral sign using power series, and then integrate term per term, we would get an approximation of it. Use this link http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ExponentialIntegral.html

Last edited:
Can't you just use integration by parts over and over again...let u=1/x, then 1/x^2, etc and keep letting dv=e^-x dx?

sutupidmath said:
i do not think this has any nice solution, i mean in terms of any elementary function. I believe it does not have any closed form, unless we want to expand the function under integral sign using power series, and then integrate term per term, we would get an approximation of it. Use this link http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ExponentialIntegral.html
Ha, you beat me to it. Can you believe it took me at least 6 minutes to write my two-line post?

DanielleL5432 said:
Can't you just use integration by parts over and over again...let u=1/x, then 1/x^2, etc and keep letting dv=e^-x dx?
Sure, but what does that get you?

DanielleL5432 said:

Yes, that would give you an infinite series solution.

I think it would be easier to start with an infinite series:
[tex]e^{-x}= 1- x+ \frac{1}{2}x^2- \cdot\cdot\cdot\+ \frac{(-1)^n}{n!}x^n+\cdot\cdot\codt[/tex]
so
[tex]\frac{e^{-x}}{x}= \frac{1}{x}- 1+ \frac{1}{2}x- \cdot\cdot\cdot\+ \frac{(-1)^n}{n!}x^{n-1}+\cdot\cdot\codt[/tex]

Integrate that to get an infinite series solution.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, that would give you an infinite series solution.

I think it would be easier to start with an infinite series:
[tex]e^{-x}= 1- x+ \frac{1}{2}x^2- \cdot\cdot\cdot\+ \frac{(-1)^n}{n!}x^n+\cdot\cdot\codt[/tex]
so
[tex]\frac{e^{-x}}{x}= \frac{1}{x}- 1+ \frac{1}{2}x- \cdot\cdot\cdot\+ \frac{(-1)^n}{n!}x^{n-1}+\cdot\cdot\codt[/tex]

Integrate that to get an infinite series solution.

Wouldn't he need firs to determine whether this series converges uniformly, and whether they fullfill some other conditions which i do not actually know exactly which are they? Or it is obvious that this series can be integrated term by term?

P.S. Pardone my ignorance!

FAQ: Convergence and Conditions for Integrating an Infinite Series Solution

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is often used to find the total amount of something, such as distance, volume, or accumulation over time.

How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You also need to know the limits of integration, which determine the range of values over which the integral is being evaluated.

Why are integrals important?

Integrals are important in many fields of science, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to solve problems involving continuous quantities, such as motion, heat, and probability. They are also used to model and analyze real-world situations.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value as the result. It represents the area under a curve between those limits. An indefinite integral does not have limits and gives a general expression as the result. It represents the antiderivative or the reverse of differentiation.

Can integrals be solved using technology?

Yes, integrals can be solved using technology such as graphing calculators or computer software. These tools can quickly compute the result of an integral and provide a visual representation of the area under the curve. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration in order to use technology effectively.